Elevator falls when I am inside

• Thread starter djeipa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the student is worried about the safety of an elevator in their school, and calculates the chance of survival if the elevator falls.
djeipa
My schools building has 6 stories, I usually have to go up to 6th storey to meet my teacher.
That buildign elevator is old and it sounds terrible when it moves up or down.
I don't want to use stairs because I will be very tired.
I am 180 cm tall, my weight is 80kgs.
What should I do if the elevator of my school falls when I am inside ?
How badly does my legs bone get broken ? I am a bit worried.
Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Suck it up and take the stairs or kiss your legs goodbye.

Hello, thank you
that is really good suggestions

But I am thinking, if the elevator is down with v [m/s], ratio for bone broken with a given retarded force f is alpha, knowing that v increase more and more till it and I hit the ground, also knowing that I am with the height and weight as said above, can you help me calculate f that will go againts both of my legs? Thank you

OH, this is homework problem! Show us what you have done already!

I done nothing, I am looking for someone perhaps who can give me a result, I will do it tomoorow and compare the result

Oh, I see:

"Please help fool the teacher into thinking I know this so I won't have to actually learn anything."

I'm afraid you're not going to get a whole lot of help with that here- we don't dislike you that much.

Holy #^&$ your school has six stories!? I lived in the wrong damn district.

Hmm, go rent the mythbusters episode where they dropped an elevator. Actually, if you're really worried about this, probably better not.

You do know that elevators have safety brakes, right?

is this a homework question?

or do you just want to know your chance of survival just for the heck of it

Related to Elevator falls when I am inside

1. What causes an elevator to fall when I am inside?

There are several possible causes for an elevator to fall when you are inside. These include mechanical failures, such as a broken cable or malfunctioning brakes, as well as human error, such as improper maintenance or overloaded weight capacity.

2. Is it safe to jump when an elevator is falling?

No, it is not safe to jump when an elevator is falling. This can actually increase the force of impact and potentially cause more harm. The best course of action is to stay calm, brace yourself against the walls, and wait for the elevator to come to a stop.

3. How likely is it for an elevator to fall when I am inside?

The likelihood of an elevator falling when you are inside is extremely low. Elevators are designed with multiple safety mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening. However, it is important to always follow weight capacity limits and report any strange noises or movements to building management.

4. What should I do if I am inside an elevator that is falling?

If you find yourself in an elevator that is falling, the most important thing to do is to stay calm. Press the emergency button or use the emergency phone to contact building management. Follow any instructions given and wait for help to arrive.

5. Can I get injured if an elevator falls when I am inside?

While it is possible to sustain injuries in the event of an elevator falling, it is rare. As mentioned before, elevators have safety mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening. It is important to follow all safety protocols and report any issues with the elevator to prevent accidents from occurring.