Eliminate u: Solve Nonlinear Diff. Eqns.

• Thread starter Murilo T
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a nonlinear differential equation by eliminating the variable u and using implicit differentiation. The solution to the problem is ϕ' = A cos ϕ (1 + sin ϕ). Further manipulation can lead to a first order differential equation which can be solved with initial conditions.
Murilo T
Homework Statement
Those two equations below appered when I was trying to solve a physics problem.
Relevant Equations
u' = sinφ - 1
uφ' = cosφ
I've began to learn how to solve differential equations to eliminate u in those two equations, but it seems that it is a nonlinear differential equation.

I'm wondering if there is other way to eliminate u, or will I just have to learn how to solve nonlienar differential equations?
The solution to the problem is ϕ' = A cos ϕ (1 + sin ϕ).

I appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you (implicitly) differentiate ##u \varphi' = \cos{\varphi}## with respect to the independent variable? Then, can you eliminate ##u##?

etotheipi said:
What do you get if you (implicitly) differentiate ##u \varphi' = \cos{\varphi}## with respect to the independent variable? Then, can you eliminate ##u##?
I guess that what you are saying is to isolate u = cosϕ/ϕ', and then take the derivative of u with respect to ϕ, right?

Not quite; here, both ##u = u(t)## and ##\varphi = \varphi(t)## are functions of the independent variable, denoted ##t##. Also, the prime notation here denotes differentiation with respect to ##t##. So you ought to try evaluating something like$$\frac{d}{dt} \left( u \varphi' \right) = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \cos{\varphi} \right)$$remembering to use the chain rule. If you prefer then you could completely equivalently instead start with ##u = \cos{\varphi} / \varphi'## and then differentiate both sides with respect to ##t##.

Likes Murilo T
etotheipi said:
$$\frac{d}{dt} \left( u \varphi' \right) = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \cos{\varphi} \right)$$

Is it safe to say that this equals u'φ' + uφ'' = -sin(φ) ?

Murilo T said:
Is it safe to say that this equals u'φ' + uφ'' = -sin(φ) ?
Oooh, so close! Almost perfect except you just forgot to apply the chain rule to the right hand side. Remember that $$\frac{d(\cos \varphi)}{dt} = \frac{d(\cos \varphi)}{d\varphi} \frac{d\varphi}{dt} =\frac{d(\cos \varphi)}{d\varphi} \varphi'$$so with that in mind, can you correct your equation? Once you've done that, have a go at eliminating ##u## by substituting your original two equations into this one!

Likes Murilo T
etotheipi said:
$$\frac{d(\cos \varphi)}{dt} = \frac{d(\cos \varphi)}{d\varphi} \frac{d\varphi}{dt} =\frac{d(\cos \varphi)}{d\varphi} \varphi'$$

Yees, I realized when I substituted u and u', but it was missing a φ'!

Thank you very very much again! Hahhaha

Haha it's okay. Did you get a differential equation in ##\varphi## only, and start to think about what the best way of solving that is?

Yep. I can integrate to get a equation with only φ' and φ. With the initial conditions I can solve it now :D

Likes etotheipi
Cool, yeah it turns out to be quite nice, you can turn it back into a first order differential equation with a bit of further manipulation:$$\begin{align*}

(\sin \varphi - 1) \varphi'' + \frac{\varphi''}{\varphi'} \cos \varphi &= - \varphi' \sin \varphi \\

\frac{\varphi''}{\varphi'} &= (\sec \varphi - 2 \tan \varphi) \varphi' \\

\frac{d}{dt} \left( \ln{\varphi'} \right) &= \frac{d}{dt} \left( \ln(\sec \varphi + \tan \varphi) - 2 \ln \sec \varphi \right) \\ \\

\varphi'&= c(\sec \varphi + \tan \varphi)(\sec^{-2} \varphi) \\

\varphi'&=c \cos \varphi (1+ \sin \varphi)

\end{align*}$$

1. What is "Eliminate u" and why is it important in solving nonlinear differential equations?

"Eliminate u" is a technique used in solving nonlinear differential equations where the independent variable is replaced with a new variable in order to transform the equation into a simpler form. This is important because it allows for easier manipulation and solution of the equation.

2. How does "Eliminate u" differ from other methods of solving differential equations?

"Eliminate u" differs from other methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors in that it involves substituting a new variable for the independent variable, while the other methods involve manipulating the equation in its original form.

3. Can "Eliminate u" be used for all types of nonlinear differential equations?

Yes, "Eliminate u" can be used for all types of nonlinear differential equations. However, the success of this method depends on the complexity of the equation and the chosen substitution for the independent variable.

4. How do I know which substitution to use when using "Eliminate u"?

The choice of substitution for the independent variable in "Eliminate u" depends on the structure of the given differential equation. Some common substitutions include u = y/x, u = x/y, and u = xy.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "Eliminate u" in solving differential equations?

One limitation of "Eliminate u" is that it may not always lead to a simpler form of the equation. In some cases, it may even result in a more complex equation. Additionally, the choice of substitution may not always be obvious and may require trial and error.