Eliminating Variables in Trigonometric Equations for Research Purposes

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of equations involving hyperbolic and trigonometric functions and how to express one variable in terms of others. The equations are a modified form of an equation in a research paper and the individual is seeking a way to solve for one variable in terms of others for their own research work.
highflyyer
Consider the following set of equations:

##r = \cosh\rho \cos\tau + \sinh\rho \cos\varphi##

##rt = \cosh\rho \sin\tau##

##rl\phi = \sinh\rho \sin\varphi##

Is there some way to combine the equations to get rid of ##\varphi## and ##\tau## and express ##\rho## in terms of ##r, t, \phi##?

I tried the following:

##r^{2} = (\cosh\rho \cos\tau + \sinh\rho \cos\varphi)^{2}##

##r^{2}(t-l\phi)^{2} = (\cosh\rho \sin\tau - \sinh\rho \sin\varphi)^{2}##

so that we have

##r^{2} + r^{2}(t-l\phi)^{2} = \cosh^{2}\rho + \sinh^{2}\rho + 2\cos(\tau+\varphi)\sinh\rho\cosh\rho.##

The above line is not exactly what I want, because of the factor ##\cos(\tau+\varphi)##!

Is there some neat way to get rid of ##\varphi## and ##\tau## and express ##\rho## in terms of ##r, t, \phi##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? What course are you taking?

We need some context here. Where did this problem come from and what do you need it for?

You can express ##\varphi## and ##\tau## as function of the other variables using the second and third equation. Not nice, but possible.

jedishrfu said:
Is this a homework problem? What course are you taking?

We need some context here. Where did this problem come from and what do you need it for?

This is not a homework problem. This is part of my research work.

The equations are a modified form of (1.17) on page 13 of https://esc.fnwi.uva.nl/thesis/centraal/files/f37733672.pdf.

I need it to make progress in my work.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) and are always true regardless of the values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations and can also be used to prove other mathematical statements.

2. How many trigonometric identities are there?

There are an infinite number of trigonometric identities, as new ones can be derived from existing ones using various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities (such as sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), the double angle identities (such as sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ), and the sum and difference identities (such as sin(α ± β) = sinαcosβ ± cosαsinβ). There are also many other identities involving multiple trigonometric functions, known as the product-to-sum and sum-to-product identities.

4. Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including geometry, calculus, physics, and engineering. They are used to simplify complicated equations involving trigonometric functions, to solve trigonometric equations, and to prove other mathematical statements. They also have many practical applications, such as in navigation, astronomy, and surveying.

5. How can I remember all the trigonometric identities?

Memorizing all the trigonometric identities can be challenging, but it can be helpful to understand the underlying patterns and relationships between the different identities. You can also use mnemonic devices, such as creating acronyms or rhymes, to help remember them. Additionally, with practice and use, these identities will become more familiar and easier to recall.