EM field due to a long wire submitted to an AC current

This leads to a problem with cylindrical symmetry for which you can use retarded potentials.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of establishing equations for the B(t) and E(t) fields along the X axis for a long wire with an alternating current. The speaker mentions assuming cylindrical symmetry and using Maxwell's equations, but also asks for any other hints or approaches to solve the problem. The solution suggested is to use retarded potentials, given that the assumptions are met.
jfgobin
Hello there,

I am having a real stupid moment.

In the space XYZ, a long wire is along the Y axis and is submitted to an alternating current [itex]I_{0}\sin \omega t[/itex]. I am trying to establish the equations for the B(t) and E(t) fields along the X axis.

I assume that the distance to the cable is small in regard to the cable length and that the cable length is small in regard to the wavelength of the alternating signal, so the cable can be seen as having a uniform current along its length. I am pretty sure the problem will have a cylindrical symmetry.

Besides the "use Maxwell's equations", any hint to attack this problem?

Thanks to all!

Physics news on Phys.org
"use retarded potentials"?

If the distance to the cable is small compared to the wavelength of the alternating signal (if not, the finite cable length is a problem!), you can neglect the time-dependence of the current to get a good approximation.

1. What is an EM field?

An EM field, or electromagnetic field, is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and is responsible for the interactions between charged particles. It consists of both an electric field and a magnetic field.

2. How is an EM field created by a long wire with an AC current?

When an alternating current (AC) flows through a long wire, it creates a changing electric field that is perpendicular to the direction of the current. This changing electric field then creates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to both the current and the electric field. Together, these fields make up the EM field around the wire.

3. What factors affect the strength of the EM field around a long wire?

The strength of the EM field around a long wire is affected by the amplitude of the AC current, the frequency of the current, and the distance from the wire. As the current or frequency increases, the strength of the field also increases. However, as the distance from the wire increases, the field strength decreases.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding the EM field around a long wire?

Understanding the EM field around a long wire is essential in many practical applications, such as the design of electrical circuits and antennas. It is also necessary for understanding the effects of electromagnetic interference on electronic devices.

5. How can the EM field around a long wire be measured?

The EM field around a long wire can be measured using a specialized instrument called a Gaussmeter. This device measures the strength of the magnetic field and can be used to determine the strength of the EM field at different distances from the wire.