Email Account Help: Has My Hotmail Been Hacked?

• Thread starter mathzeroh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary: Microsoft has reduced the amount of time you have before your account is frozen due to inactivity. If this is the case, then it is your own fault. Microsoft does offer help to users who have had their account frozen, but they require some information in order to do so. If you do not have this information, then you will not be able to get help. As for hacking, it is impossible to hack an email account that does not exist. If you have had your account hacked, then you will need to contact the hacker and ask for the information you need in order to get your account back.
mathzeroh
sorry first off all if i have posted in the wrong section.[b(] i have never posted in this particular side of the forum:wink: so i appologize. btw it looks interesting here too.:wink:

ok my problem is that i can't login to my hotmail email account. I've heard that some people have gotten hacked or soemthing, is this true? i wanted to noe if have been hacked too.

thank you for your time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
anybodey?[?]

help!please!

Please don't beg for an answer. People will help you when they get the chance. The reason you might not be able to log into your account is becuase Microsoft has shorten the time before they freeze your account due to inactivity. If this is the case then it is your own fault. It could also be related to hacks, but what do you expect from Microsoft. You have no control over hacks. Just create another account if this has happened.

dduardo said:
Please don't beg for an answer. People will help you when they get the chance. The reason you might not be able to log into your account is becuase Microsoft has shorten the time before they freeze your account due to inactivity. If this is the case then it is your own fault. It could also be related to hacks, but what do you expect from Microsoft. You have no control over hacks. Just create another account if this has happened.
dduardo thank you very much for your answer and ur understanding! :smile:

so are you saying that even if a person has the correct password, they will still freeze that account, and tell you that the password is wrong? :confused: :confused:

u noe, this makes me think, they say that "hotmail" is the worlds biggest online email provider...i'm beginning to think that this is why:
they lock your account, so that you will open a new one. :mad:

wut about the hacks? how does a person hack an email account that they don't even noe exists! i mean, my email is like worthless why would anyone want to hack it?? did they stay up all night trying every single word to hack it?? :confused: :confused: :frown:

thx again! :cool: (but please help me with these questions too :wink: )

There are various techniques for cracking hotmail. There is the brute force attack method where they have a computer try various passwords until they get it right. There is also some html source cracks. The list is pretty long and you can do a google groups search if you want any specific techniques. Microsoft does update their systems, so some techniques may be outdated.

mathzeroh said:
ok my problem is that i can't login to my hotmail email account. I've heard that some people have gotten hacked or soemthing, is this true? i wanted to noe if have been hacked too.

thank you for your time.

What kind of error message are you getting? some details would surely help

Have you tried logging in again? If so, were you able to check your e-mail?
And consider changing your password as well

Or you could just contact Hotmail support from their website using the form, and have it Emailed to a back-up account.

Assuming you have one.

1. How can I tell if my Hotmail account has been hacked?

If you suspect that your Hotmail account has been hacked, there are a few signs to look out for. These include receiving emails from unknown senders, changes to your account settings or contacts, and unusual activity in your sent folder or inbox.

2. What should I do if I think my Hotmail account has been hacked?

If you believe your Hotmail account has been hacked, the first step is to change your password immediately. You should also run a virus scan on your computer and check for any suspicious activity on your account. It's also recommended to enable two-factor authentication for added security.

3. Can I recover a hacked Hotmail account?

If your Hotmail account has been hacked, it's possible to recover it. You can try to reset your password using the "forgot password" option or contact Microsoft support for further assistance. It's important to act quickly and follow all recommended steps to increase your chances of recovering your account.

4. How can I prevent my Hotmail account from being hacked?

To prevent your Hotmail account from being hacked, it's important to use a strong and unique password. Avoid using the same password for multiple accounts and regularly update your password. You should also be cautious of suspicious emails and links, and enable security features like two-factor authentication.

5. Is it possible to retrieve lost data from a hacked Hotmail account?

If your Hotmail account has been hacked, it's possible that some data may be lost. However, you may be able to recover some of it by restoring your account to a previous date. You can also check your deleted items folder and contact Microsoft support for further assistance.