Email notifications have gone bonkers

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about multiple email notifications being received for a single post on a thread. The issue started happening earlier that day and has been reported by the individual. The emails are duplicates, with the same content and same sent time, but different received times. The individual wonders if their local ISP is causing the issue. However, upon further examination, it seems to be an issue with other sources as well. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about peeing on someone's leg.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
When a thread I'm watching is posted in, I now get as many as 6 separate email notifications for each post. This just started happening earlier today. On some posts, I get one notification and some give 2 or 3 or up to 6.

What gives?

EDIT: if this has already been reported (and I can't find any indication that it has) please either roll this post into the discussion or delete it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Are they duplicates?

Exactly the same email, multiple times, yes

I just checked one at random and the time stamps for 4 identical emails are 4:02, 4:03, 4:04, and 4:08 (all pm)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Still happening now?

Yes.

I just checked the sent AND the received time stamps and I was quoting you the received time. All were sent at the same time (3:49pm on my example above)

The most recent notification I have received was sent twice, both at 6:45pm but one received at 6:51pm and one at 8:08pm. I wonder if somehow my local ISP is caching them and sending them multiple times? It seems likely, since if the local ISP were not involved, the identical "sent" time stamps should result in very close "received" time stamps.

EDIT: Further examination shows that I'm getting identical multiples from other sources, with the same characteristic of same sent times, different received times, so I don't think this has anything to do with PF. Sorry to bother you.

This is what you get for biting the e-mail man, Phinds. He was such a nice man...

Drakkith said:
This is what you get for biting the e-mail man, Phinds. He was such a nice man...

Hey, I DIDN'T bite him. That would have been unfriendly. I did pee on his leg, but that was just being friendly and showing him I liked him. I don't know what his problem is.

Likes TumblingDice
phinds said:
I did pee on his leg, but that was just being friendly and showing him I liked him.
Hmm... That explains a lot for me... (Always eager to learn and understand more!)

1. What could be causing my email notifications to malfunction?

There could be several reasons for your email notifications going "bonkers." It could be due to a technical issue with the email server, incorrect settings in your email account, or a problem with the notification system itself. It is best to troubleshoot and isolate the cause before taking any further action.

2. How can I fix my email notifications?

The first step to fixing your email notifications is to check your email settings and make sure they are correct. If the issue persists, try resetting your email account or contacting your email provider for assistance. You may also need to check the notification settings in the system or application that is sending the notifications.

3. Why am I receiving multiple email notifications for the same event?

This could be due to a glitch in the notification system, where the same notification is being sent multiple times. It could also be caused by a setting in your email account that automatically resends notifications. Check your email settings and the notification system for any duplicates or glitches.

4. How can I disable or adjust my email notifications?

To disable or adjust your email notifications, you will need to access the notification settings in the system or application that is sending the notifications. From there, you can turn off notifications completely or adjust the frequency and type of notifications you receive.

5. Can I opt out of email notifications altogether?

Yes, in most cases you can opt out of email notifications by adjusting the notification settings in the system or application. If you are unable to do so, you can try blocking the email address or contacting the sender to request that they stop sending notifications to your email account.