Email professor 10 days after admissions interview?

In summary: It's fine to mention that you have been approved and that offers will still be made through the end of the month. It's also reasonable to ask if he has any advice on where to go from here.
ian_dsouza
I had a skype interview with a professor in Canada for M.Sc. admissions. This was 10 days ago on April 20. The interview went okay. He said he would talk to the graduate coordinator, check my application and get back to me by the end of April. Monday, May 2nd would be the first working day after the proposed end of the April month. I am not sure if I should email him back asking about a decision. Would this seem too pushy? What should I mention in my email? I would also like to mention that when I had emailed him to schedule the interview with my convenient timings, he had not replied. But a week later, I emailed him again and instantly got a reply back. So, I'm not sure if he's genuinely forgotten because of his busy schedule or if he's delaying it. I have no offers at the moment, although I am waiting on two more universities.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's fine to email in follow up to the interview if the professor agreed to get back to you by the end of the month. Even if he hadn't agreed on a specific timeline, following up is reasonable.

I'm not sure why you would bring up an issue with scheduling an interview that's already happened.

Just remind him that you spoke a couple weeks ago and were hoping that you might get some feedback.

I don't think this is a good idea. Do you honestly think he forgot? "Oh, was this the year we were supposed to admit new graduate students?" It's sounds kind of pesty to me.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think this is a good idea. Do you honestly think he forgot? "Oh, was this the year we were supposed to admit new graduate students?" It's sounds kind of pesty to me.

I disagree. Professors (like many other working professionals) are busy people, and it is not inconceivable that among the various activities he was involved in (research, teaching, reviewing journal articles, attending conferences, etc), reviewing applications from potential graduate students may not be of the highest priority.

I agree with Choppy -- sending a courteous follow-up e-mail is fine and perfectly reasonable.

StatGuy2000 said:
reviewing applications from potential graduate students may not be of the highest priority.

Maybe, but if that's the case, the committee chair is going to get on his case.

@Choppy @StatGuy2000
Thanks. Yes, I think I'll email him.

I am not very good with social norms. Is this fine:
"We spoke over skype a couple of weeks ago. It was exciting to hear about your research and I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate my interest in joining your group at the <institute's name>. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding my application. In case you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to contact me."

ian_dsouza said:
@Choppy @StatGuy2000
Thanks. Yes, I think I'll email him.

"We spoke over skype a couple of weeks ago. It was exciting to hear about your research and I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate my interest in joining your group at the <institute's name>. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding my application. In case you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to contact me."

I consider this (and any message) as pushy. Just my opinion.

ian_dsouza said:

I think it's fine.

You stated this professor told you he would get back to you by the end of the month and since he hasn't, I don't feel there's anything wrong with a follow up email. That said, you might want to contact the department to find out when they are going to make final decisions on admission offers. That might shed some more light on the subject. It's possible that the admissions committee just haven't made their final decisions yet.

@Choppy The way it works in this school is that the admissions committee has to approve that you meet the minimum requirements for admission. But for an admission offer, you need an advisor who's willing to fund you. I got the admission committee's approval and was asked to search for an advisor. I received an email from the grad coordinator saying that offers will continue to be made till April 30th. I didn't want to mention this during the interview as i thought it might come across as "me giving the professor a deadline". And since he said he'd get back by the end of April, i figured it wasn't necessary. I'm a little concerned now. However, I did see that someone on gradcafe got an advisor in June a few years ago. Every other person got it by April. Anyways, since today (Monday) is the first working day after which he told he'd get back, I think I'll wait till Tuesday - anyways the April 30th deadline's past.

I finally sent that email and got a reply from the professor asking me if I'd like to work a specific project of his. I agreed. He replied back saying that he's recommending me for admission. Hope things go smooth from here. Thanks everyone for your input, especially @Choppy and @StatGuy2000.

Likes StatGuy2000 and Andy Resnick
ian_dsouza said:
I finally sent that email and got a reply from the professor asking me if I'd like to work a specific project of his. I agreed. He replied back saying that he's recommending me for admission. Hope things go smooth from here. Thanks everyone for your input, especially @Choppy and @StatGuy2000.

Congratulations! Best of luck!

1. When should I email the professor after the admissions interview?

It is recommended to email the professor within 10 days after the admissions interview.

2. What should I include in my email to the professor?

You should thank the professor for taking the time to meet with you and express your interest in the program. You can also ask any follow-up questions or provide any additional information that was not discussed during the interview.

3. Is it necessary to email the professor after the admissions interview?

It is not necessary to email the professor, but it can be a good opportunity to make a positive impression and continue the conversation about your potential enrollment in the program.

4. How long should my email to the professor be?

Your email should be concise and to the point. Keep it under 1 page and make sure to proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors.

5. How soon can I expect a response from the professor?

The response time may vary depending on the professor's schedule, but it is reasonable to expect a response within a week or two. If you do not hear back within that time frame, you can send a polite follow-up email.