Checking if state is an eigenstate

In summary, Homework Equations state that there is an inaccessible state of energy for the three-dimensional harmonic oscillator.
CINA

Homework Statement

For the three-dimensional harmonic oscillator

[tex]H_{xyz} = \frac{p_x^2}{2m}+\frac{p_y^2}{2m}+\frac{p_z^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 x^2 + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 z^2 + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 z^2[/tex]

Consider:

[tex]| \alpha_1 > = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 0> + |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 1> )[/tex]

and

[tex]| \alpha_2 > = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|n_x = 1, n_y = 0, n_z = 0> -i |n_x = 0, n_y = 1, n_z = 0> )[/tex]

Does it correspond to:

a) A stationary state
b) an eigenstate of [tex]l^2[\tex]
c) an eigenstate of [tex]l_z[\tex]

Homework Equations

a) [tex]H=(N_x +N_y + N_z +\frac{3}{2})\hbar \omega[/tex]

b) [tex]L^2 = L_x^2 +L_y^2 +L_y^2[/tex]

c) [tex]L_z=xp_y-yp_x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think for a) I can just apply the operator and see whether it is a multiple of the original function of not.

It seems like I should do c) before b) and I always have trouble with operator manipulation.

What does [tex]L_z=xp_y-yp_x[/tex] applied to

[tex]| \alpha_1 > = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 0> + |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 1> )[/tex]

look like? How do you apply to position and momentum operators to alpha? What are the eigenvalues you are supposed to get out look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is step back and see what you actually have there.
i.e. how are these states constructed? i.e. what kinds of states are they made from?

##\renewcommand{\ket}[1]{\left| #1 \right\rangle}## It's shorter to write: using ##\ket{n_x,n_y,n_z}##
##\ket{\alpha_1} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\big( \ket{0,0,0} + \ket{0,0,1} \big)##
##\ket{\alpha_2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\big( \ket{1,0,0} -i \ket{0,1,0} \big)##
... makes them easier to read.

Alright, I have trouble with terminology: The states [tex]|\alpha_1>[/tex] and [tex]|\alpha_2>[/tex] are superpositions of three-dimensional harmonic oscillator eigenstates as expressed in the the [tex]|n_x,n_y,n_z>[/tex] basis (don't know what exactly you'd call this basis.) Is that correct? An alternative basis would be the [tex]|n,l,m_l>[/tex] ("angular momentum basis?") basis, correct?

For part a) I did:

[tex]H = (N+\frac{3}{2})\hbar\omega[/tex]

so,

[tex]H|\alpha_1>=\frac{1}{2}(N\hbar\omega|0,0,0>+\frac{3}{2}|0,0,0>+N\hbar\omega|0,0,1>+\frac{3}{2}|0,0,1>)[/tex]
[tex]H|\alpha_1>=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{3}{2}|0,0,0>+\frac{5}{2}|0,0,1>)[/tex] So not a stationary state since [tex]H|\alpha_1>\neq E|\alpha_1>[/tex]

I found [itex]H|\alpha_2>=\frac{5}{2}|\alpha_2>[/itex]

For part b) we are allowed to simply give an argument.In class we derived something like this picture:
YbmdwBR.png

(Source: http://arxiv.org/pdf/0808.2289v2.pdf, Page 5) where the y-axis is the HO energy levels. So, here is my attempt at an argument for whether they are eigenstates of [itex]l^2[/itex]...

For [itex]|\alpha_2>[/itex] the state will always be in energy eigenstate with [itex]E=\frac{5}{2}\hbar\omega[/itex] which corresponds to an inaccessible hole in the above figure, so it is NOT an eigenstate of [itex]l^2[/itex]. It IS an eigen state of [itex]l^2[/itex] since both states correspond to l=1.
For [itex]|\alpha_1>[/itex] it is a superposition of [itex]|0,0,0>[/itex] (accessible,defined [itex]l^2[/itex]) and [itex]|0,0,1>[/itex] (inaccessible). Since it is not strictly a superposition of accessible (and consistent) [itex]l^2[/itex] states, it is NOT an eigenstate.

Is there any merit to this?

EDIT: and for c) [itex][H,l_z]=0[/itex] so they are compatible observables...which means that if an H eigenstate exists, an [itex]l_z[/itex] must as well?

Last edited:
The nx ny and nz label what? you have identifies |a2> as an energy eigenstate ...
It would help if you could express the nx-z basis into angular momentum basis right?
How do you change basis?

Have you done some work on commutators and simultaneous eigenstates?
[edit] off your edit: well done ... you can also do ##[H,L^2]## and check the other one as well.

Careful - the commutation means that simultaneous eigenstates are possible, but a particular eigenstate may not be simultaneous.
i.e. A linear combination of eigenstates for H may not be an eigenstate of a commuting operator.

Something in there should sound familiar with something you've done in class recently.

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. Firstly, the given expression for the Hamiltonian is incorrect as it is missing the term for the potential energy in the y-direction. It should be:

H_{xyz} = \frac{p_x^2}{2m}+\frac{p_y^2}{2m}+\frac{p_z^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 x^2 + \frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 y^2 + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 z^2

Secondly, the given states | \alpha_1 > and | \alpha_2 > are not eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, therefore the question of whether they correspond to a stationary state is not relevant. Instead, we should check if they are eigenstates of the angular momentum operators.

Now, to answer the question, we can apply the operator L_z to the state | \alpha_1 > as follows:

L_z | \alpha_1 > = (xp_y-yp_x) | \alpha_1 >

= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (xp_y |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 0> + xp_y |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 1> - yp_x |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 0> - yp_x |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 1>)

= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (0 + 0 - \hbar |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 0> + 0 - \hbar |n_x = 0, n_y = 0, n_z = 1>)

= - \hbar | \alpha_1 >

Therefore, | \alpha_1 > is an eigenstate of L_z with eigenvalue - \hbar.

Similarly, we can apply the operator L_z to the state | \alpha_2 >:

L_z | \alpha_2 > = (xp_y-yp_x) | \alpha_2 >

= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (xp_y |n_x =

1. How do you determine if a state is an eigenstate?

The most common way to check if a state is an eigenstate is by calculating its corresponding eigenvalue. If the state's wavefunction can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of the operator, then it is an eigenstate.

2. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state of a quantum system that is associated with a specific eigenvalue of an observable. It is a state in which the value of that observable is certain, and any measurement of the observable will return that eigenvalue with 100% probability.

3. Can a state be an eigenstate for more than one observable?

Yes, a state can be an eigenstate for multiple observables as long as those observables commute with each other. This means that the order in which the measurements are performed does not affect the outcome.

4. How is the eigenvalue related to the energy of a system?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenvalue of the energy operator is the energy of the system in that particular state. This means that if a state is an eigenstate of the energy operator, its corresponding eigenvalue will be the energy of the system when it is in that state.

5. Can a state be an eigenstate for a continuous spectrum of eigenvalues?

No, a state can only be an eigenstate for a discrete set of eigenvalues. This is because the eigenfunctions of an operator must be square-integrable, and a continuous spectrum of eigenvalues would result in non-normalizable eigenfunctions.