Energy in an elastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a neutron colliding with an oxygen atom and determining the energy of the neutron for a range of collision angles. The problem involves using equations such as conservation of energy and momentum, but the solution is still unclear. Two unknowns, the incoming speed of the neutron and the angle of collision, need to be determined using two facts, including the resulting energy of the oxygen atom.
sportcardinal90

Homework Statement

This is not really a homework problem, just me trying to get a ballpark number for a random problem.

Suppose I have a neutron flying at some energy and it hits an oxygen atom. If the oxygen atom, after the collision, now has 20 keV of energy, but before, had ~ 0, is there a way I can estimate the energy of the neutron for a range of collision angles? I do not want a precise number, but just an estimate

Homework Equations

I know some equations like conservation of energy, etc., but I am still having a hard time coming up with a ballpark solution. I tried relating the masses to the energies, but that did not seem to give a number that worked either. Neutron energy was less than oxygen energy after collision which does not make sense.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There is also conservation of momentum.
The situation has essentially two unknowns: the incoming speed of the neutron and the obliqueness of the collision. So you need two facts; the resulting energy of the oxygen atom is one, so you need one more.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. This means that the total energy after the collision is less than the total energy before the collision.

How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1.

What factors affect the amount of energy transferred in an elastic collision?

The amount of energy transferred in an elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision. The higher the mass and velocity of an object, the more energy it can transfer during a collision.

Can energy be gained in an elastic collision?

No, energy cannot be gained in an elastic collision. The total kinetic energy of the system must remain constant, so any energy lost by one object must be gained by the other object. This means that the total energy before and after the collision remains the same.