Energy needed to inflate approx 0.1m^3 under water

In summary, the question is about calculating the amount of energy needed to inflate a rubber cylinder with ambient air using an air compressor, within 5 minutes, while being submerged 5cm below the surface of a water tank that is 8 meters above sea level. The surface area of the fully inflated cylinder is 12,106cm2 and the temperatures of the water and air are fixed at 12 and 20 degrees Celsius, respectively. The most efficient method of inflation is desired, and the efficiency of air compressors can be estimated to be between 65-85%. The proposed method is to calculate the average pressure the balloon will be subject to underwater and treat it as stored energy in a pressure vessel.
andyg007
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
How much energy is required to inflate a volume of 102,102cm3 with ambient air at 5cm below the surface of a water tank. The surface of the water tank is 8 meters above sea level.

The object to inflate is a rubber cylinder which has a diameter of 50cm and 52cm in length with 0 resistance from the cylinders material. When fully inflated, I have calculated the surface area of the cylinder to be 12,106cm2.

The temperatures are fixed; the water is 12 degrees and ambient air temperature is 20 degrees Celsius.

The target is to use method of inflation e.g. an air compressor that uses the lowest amount of energy to inflate within 5 minutes.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It will be much the same as that needed to push an already inflated balloon down that far.
What is the purpose here?

Thanks for your reply Simon - its a homework question.

My thoughts were the same i.e. an air compressor would require at least the same amount of energy as manually pushing down. I am wanting to understand how efficient air compressors are and try to calculate the amount of energy needed. Any idea how this can be solved?

You ask the manufacturer how efficient their air compressors are.

Thanks very much for your replies :-)

I am a bad engineer but let me give it a try :D
I couldn't understand the question properly but what i assume is that initially the rubber cylinder is flat and immersed in water, if it is immersed horizontally in water the total pressure is P=ro*g*H, now when you inflate the cylinder and keeping the upper surface 5cm below water level, assuming zero resistance from the material you are actually doing work against the pressure developed by the surrounding water, this work would be same as the energy needed for inflation.
this was my understanding of the problem, i am 50 % sure i would be wrong because i am a bad engineer but let's have a discussion lol

Hi Ali - your spot on. Btw what does the 'ro' part stand for in the P=ro*g*H?
Thanks for replying :-)

ro is the density
sorry i missed it lol

I agree with Ali's method, if you can calculate the average pressure your balloon will be subject to underwater, and then treating it as stored energy in a pressure vessel could be a useful method. If the balloon is stretching, you will also have to take into account the energy required to stretch the rubber of the balloon as well.

Some information regarding isothermal pressure vessel energy storage can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage#Isothermal_Storage

Since this is a homework question, let's let the OP do the work from here on... :smile:
andyg007 said:
Thanks for your reply Simon - its a homework question.

Related to Energy needed to inflate approx 0.1m^3 under water

1. How is the energy needed to inflate approx 0.1m^3 under water calculated?

The energy needed to inflate approx 0.1m^3 under water can be calculated by using the formula E = P x V, where E is the energy needed, P is the pressure of the water, and V is the volume of the inflated object.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy needed to inflate an object under water?

The amount of energy needed to inflate an object under water is affected by the depth of the water, the density of the water, and the material and shape of the object being inflated.

3. Can the energy needed to inflate an object under water vary?

Yes, the energy needed to inflate an object under water can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. For example, the deeper the water, the higher the pressure and therefore, the more energy needed to inflate the object.

4. How does the energy needed to inflate an object under water compare to inflating the same object on land?

The energy needed to inflate an object under water is typically higher than inflating the same object on land. This is because the pressure of the water adds an additional force that must be overcome to inflate the object.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of energy that can be used to inflate an object under water?

There is no specific limit to the amount of energy that can be used to inflate an object under water. However, the maximum amount of energy that can be used is limited by the strength and capacity of the material used to inflate the object.