Energy of an Oort Cloud object

In summary, the energy of an Oort cloud object is approximately zero, as in the potential energy plus the kinetic energy is equal to zero. Radial velocity is also approximately zero.
I_laff
I read that the the energy of an Oort cloud object is approximately zero, as in the potential energy plus the kinetic energy is equal to zero. I was also told that the radius was approximately infinite and the velocity is approximately zero. I understand why the radius is said to be infinite (since it is so far away from the Earth, it's radius from the itself to the Earth is treated as infinite).

However, what I do not understand is why the velocity of the Oort cloud object is zero. Any help on understanding why this is the case?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Could you post a link to the article that you're referring to?

It sounds like they may have been referring to the radial velocity w.r.t. the earth. That would be pretty small.

It's just something from my lecture notes. Here is the extract, 'There are lots of debris left over from the formation of the Solar System, some of which forms the Oort cloud in the very outer Solar System. What is the typical energy of an Oort cloud object? The energy (E) is approximately 0 as the orbit is stable and v is approximately 0, r is approximately inf.'

I think that your notes are incomplete. It's going to be difficult for anyone to help you decipher what you wrote during a lecture. Was the lecturer referring to radial velocity or speaking of velocity in some other context? Similar logic for the other questions. Only you and the lecturer can say for sure. I would take your notes to him and see if he can help you with what you missed.

I believe the velocity that is being referred to is the linear velocity of a particle in orbit (i.e. the velocity at one moment of time during the orbit).

Orite, thanks for the help anyways :smile:

In the same way as the distance is approximately infinite, the orbital velocity is also approximately zero. At that distance an object needs hardly any velocity to stay in orbit.
The key word is 'approximately', of course.

Should be easy to calculate either from Newton's or Kepler's laws how close to 0 it is for an object in a circular orbit at, say, 1 ly from the Sun.

1. What is the "Energy of an Oort Cloud object"?

The energy of an Oort Cloud object refers to the amount of kinetic and potential energy that an object has due to its position and motion within the Oort Cloud, a region of space at the outer edge of our solar system.

2. How is the energy of an Oort Cloud object calculated?

The energy of an Oort Cloud object is calculated using the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the center of the Oort Cloud. This can be determined using mathematical equations such as the kinetic energy formula (1/2mv^2) and the gravitational potential energy formula (GMm/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the sun.

3. What factors affect the energy of an Oort Cloud object?

The energy of an Oort Cloud object is affected by its mass, velocity, and distance from the sun. Objects with larger masses or higher velocities will have more energy, while objects that are further from the sun will have less energy.

4. How does the energy of an Oort Cloud object impact its orbit?

The energy of an Oort Cloud object plays a crucial role in determining its orbit. Objects with higher energy will have more elongated orbits, while objects with lower energy will have more circular orbits. This is due to the balance between the object's kinetic and potential energy, which determines the shape of its orbit.

5. Why is studying the energy of Oort Cloud objects important?

Studying the energy of Oort Cloud objects can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. It can also help us understand the dynamics of comets and other objects within the Oort Cloud, and their potential impact on Earth. Additionally, studying the energy of Oort Cloud objects can provide evidence for the existence of unknown planets or other massive objects in our solar system.