Energy of products in endothermic reaction

In summary, when comparing the energy of reactants and products in an endothermic reaction, the products have more energy. This is because the reactants have an enthalpy of 2144 while the products have an enthalpy of 1424 Kj/mol.
ASidd
How is the energy of products in endothermic reaction more than the energy of reactants
When we see the following equation of an endothermic reaction below
2H2O2--> 2H2O + O2
The 2H2O2 has an enthalpy of 2144 whereas the products have and enthalpy of 1424 Kj/mol

SO the reactants have more enthalpy than the products but the reaction is still endothermic. Why is that?

Can someone please explain this to me. Please I know this is a simple and silly question but I won't understand my energy chapter until and unless I don't know the answer of this query.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can somebody please help. I'm really desperate.

ASidd said:
How is the energy of products in endothermic reaction more than the energy of reactants
When we see the following equation of an endothermic reaction below
2H2O2--> 2H2O + O2
The 2H2O2 has an enthalpy of 2144 whereas the products have and enthalpy of 1424 Kj/mol

SO the reactants have more enthalpy than the products but the reaction is still endothermic. Why is that?

Can someone please explain this to me. Please I know this is a simple and silly question but I won't understand my energy chapter until and unless I don't know the answer of this query.

Why do you think the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is endothermic?

I was always told that decomposition is endothermic? It's in my book.

Also in a related question concerning Methane combustion the reactants have a Delta H of 2548 whereas the products have a delta H of 3324.

Again combustion is definitely exothermic but how come the Reactants have less energy than the products?

There is something that I really need to understand which is what does it exactly mean when it is said that Products have less energy/ more energy than reactants?
Do they individually measure the energies of each chemical and how do they do that?

Or are the talking about the energy that is taken to make and break bonds etc.

1. What is an endothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that absorbs energy from its surroundings. This means that the products of the reaction have more energy than the reactants.

2. How is energy involved in endothermic reactions?

In an endothermic reaction, energy is required for the reaction to take place. This energy is typically in the form of heat, which is absorbed from the surroundings. This energy is used to break bonds between atoms in the reactants, allowing new bonds to form in the products.

3. How is the energy of products in an endothermic reaction different from that of the reactants?

The energy of the products in an endothermic reaction is greater than the energy of the reactants. This is because the reaction requires energy in order to take place. The excess energy is then stored in the products, resulting in a higher energy level.

4. Can endothermic reactions occur spontaneously?

No, endothermic reactions cannot occur spontaneously. This is because they require an input of energy in order to take place. Without this energy, the reaction will not occur.

5. How can endothermic reactions be used in everyday life?

Endothermic reactions are used in many everyday applications, such as instant cold packs, where a reaction between chemicals absorbs heat from the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature. They are also used in some cooking processes, such as making ice cream, where the absorption of heat allows for rapid freezing of the mixture.