Energy of Two Gamma Rays Produced by Pion Decay

In summary, "Energy of Two Gamma Rays Produced by Pion Decay" is a scientific concept that refers to the energy released when a pion particle decays into two gamma rays. It is important to study this energy in order to gain a better understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as high-energy particles in the universe. The energy of two gamma rays produced by pion decay can be calculated using the formula E = mc², and can be affected by factors such as the pion's energy and momentum, distance from the detector, and presence of other particles or fields. Specialized detectors are used to detect and measure the energy of these gamma rays, providing valuable data for further analysis.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
An experiment is designed to search for proton decay. A suggested possible pathway is:
##p \rightarrow \pi^0 + e^+ ##

a) Calculate the signature momenta of both products of this two-body decay in the rest frame of the proton.

b) The decay of a neutral pion subsequently occurs on a very short timescale and produces two gamma rays. Calculate the average value of the energies of these gamma rays as observed in the laboratory where the proton is at rest.
Relevant Equations
[tex]E_1 = \frac{M^2+m_1^2-m_2^2}{2M}[/tex]
[tex]E_2 = \frac{M^2+m_2^2-m_1^2}{2M}[/tex]
[tex]p = \frac{\sqrt{(M^2-m_1^2-m_2^2)-4m_1^2m_2^2}}{2M}[/tex]
[tex]s = m_1^2c^4 + m_2^2c^4 +2E_1E_2 - 2p_1p_2cos\theta_{12}c^2[/tex]
So I worked out the first part and obtained ##E_1 = 478.8MeV##, ##E_2 = 459.4MeV## and ##p = 0.49 MeV/c## but I can't quite wrap my head around the second part. Normally, I'd use the equation for s but I'm confused since I don't know the angle between the gamma rays.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBigDig said:
I don't know the angle between the gamma rays.
You know what it is in the rest frame of the pion, do you not?

What is the sum of the photon energies? How does that sum relate to their average energy?

1. What is the energy of two gamma rays produced by pion decay?

The energy of the two gamma rays produced by pion decay can vary, but it is typically around 135 MeV (megaelectronvolts).

2. What is pion decay and how does it produce gamma rays?

Pion decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a pion particle (consisting of an up quark and an anti-down quark) transforms into other particles. This transformation results in the release of energy, some of which is in the form of gamma rays.

3. How do gamma rays differ from other types of radiation?

Gamma rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation, similar to X-rays and visible light. However, they have much higher energy and are more penetrating than other types of radiation, making them useful for applications such as medical imaging and cancer treatment.

4. Can pion decay produce more than two gamma rays?

Yes, pion decay can produce more than two gamma rays, depending on the specific decay process and the energy of the pion. However, in most cases, only two gamma rays are produced.

5. What is the significance of studying the energy of two gamma rays produced by pion decay?

Studying the energy of two gamma rays produced by pion decay can provide important insights into the properties of pion particles and their decay processes. This information can be used to further our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.