Energy required to go from one planet to another

In summary, the conversation discussed a binary planet system and the minimum energy required for a spacecraft to travel from one planet to the other. The problem involved calculating X, which is of the form XGMm/R. The conversation involved using various equations such as escape velocity, gravitational kinetic energy, and potential energy to find the solution. Approximations were mentioned, and the final answer for X was estimated to be 0.7. There was some confusion regarding potential energy and force, but it was determined that the potential halfway between the two planets is 2MmG/5R.
addy899
1. Description of Problem
A binary planet system comprises two identical planets of mass M and radius R with their centers a distance 10 R apart. The minimum energy that the engines of a spacecraft need to supply to get a rocket of mass m from the surface of one planet to the surface of the other is of the form XGMm/R. What is X?

Homework Equations

Escape Velocity v= √2GM/R
Gravitational Kinetic Energy KE=GMM/2R
Gravitational Potential Energy U = GmM/R
Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv2

3. Attempt at a solution

use escape velocity to find the KE of escape velocity is KE = mMG/R

I'm not sure where to go from here...

subtract the potential energy that the second planet supplies once the rocket reaches halfway?

this gives x=.8

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to make some approximations, otherwise the problem becomes really complicated.
- neglect orbital mechanics and how rockets work
- neglect the motion of the planets around each other?

If you just consider the potential energy at the surface of a planet and at the center between the planets, you get some nice answer (it is not 0.8, however - don't forget the potential of the other planet).

What we need to find is the amount of energy to get the rocket half way to the other planet, right? this can be found y finding the difference between the potential energies at the surface and half way through?

Potential at the surface is MmG/R - MmG/9R = 8MmG/9R
The second term is the Potential E from the second planet - I didn't include this in my previous attempt

potential halfway is MmG/5R

this gives X=.688

This is close to the answer which is listed as X=0.7

Is this correct?

Last edited:
I understand this "Potential at the surface is MmG/R - MmG/9R = 8MmG/9R"

How did you get this "potential halfway is MmG/5R"

Halfway between the center of the two planets is 5R, so the potential E from the second planet at half way is MmG/5R

Conceptually, the potential at that point is 0 because the planets pull on it equally?

Halfway between the center of the two planets is 5R, so the potential E from the second planet at half way is MmG/5R
And the potential from the other planet?

Conceptually, the potential at that point is 0 because the planets pull on it equally?
The force is 0, the potential is not (with your definition of the potential).

the potential from the other planet is the same...

so the potential at the midpoint is 2MmG/5R?

I think there is a minus sign missing everywhere, but apart from that: right.

How can there be a potential if there is no force?
Also, consider one of your previous equations,.. Potential at the surface is MmG/R - MmG/9R = 8MmG/9R ,
using this, the potential halfway between would be zero because the first term would change to MmG/5R as well as the second term and the difference would be zero it seems.

How can there be a potential if there is no force?
There is nothing wrong with that. Actually, every potential minimum, maximum* and critical point has no (net) force, while every point in space has a potential.

*does not exist in gravity
Potential at the surface is MmG/R - MmG/9R = 8MmG/9R
There is a sign error, too.

If you do the calculus and integrate the f dl from R to 5R you get 8MnG/9R, so I think this would be the correct answer. In a similar manner if you integrate from R to infinity you will get 0,8, not 8/9. I am a bit confused but will figure this out eventually, unless someone shows me the way.

1. How much energy is required to travel from one planet to another?

The amount of energy required to travel from one planet to another varies depending on the distance between the two planets, the mass of the spacecraft, and the type of propulsion used. Generally, it takes a large amount of energy to overcome the gravitational pull of the planets and reach escape velocity.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy needed for interplanetary travel?

The main factors that affect the energy required for interplanetary travel are the distance between the planets, the mass of the spacecraft, and the type of propulsion system used. Other factors such as the alignment of the planets, gravitational assist from other celestial bodies, and the efficiency of the spacecraft's engines can also impact the amount of energy needed.

3. How does the energy required to travel between planets compare to traveling within our own solar system?

The energy required to travel between planets is significantly higher than traveling within our own solar system. This is because the distance between planets is much greater, and the gravitational pull of the planets becomes stronger the farther apart they are. Additionally, traveling between planets often requires a spacecraft to reach escape velocity, which requires even more energy.

4. Can we use renewable energy sources for interplanetary travel?

Currently, most interplanetary spacecraft use chemical propulsion systems that require non-renewable energy sources such as rocket fuel. However, there have been some developments in using solar and nuclear energy for interplanetary travel, and it is possible that renewable energy sources could be used in the future.

5. How do scientists calculate the energy required for interplanetary travel?

To calculate the energy required for interplanetary travel, scientists use equations based on Newton's laws of motion and the gravitational force between two objects. They also take into account the mass and velocity of the spacecraft, as well as the distance and gravitational pull of the planets involved. Advanced computer simulations are often used to accurately calculate the energy needed for interplanetary travel.