Energy shift in excited state sodium

In summary: The sum you calculated is called the Clément factor, and it is a measure of the strength of the Zeeman effect. It is significant because it is an indicator of the degree of splitting of energy levels in an atom.
Kara386

Homework Statement

The spin-orbit interaction in sodium results in fine structure with energy shifts given by:

##\Delta E_j = \frac{C}{2}[j(j+1)-l(l+1)-s(s+1)]##

If ##l##, ##s## and ##j## describe the single outer electron in sodium. Show that if this electron is excited to a state where l>0, a pair of sub-levels is generated. Find expressions for the energy shifts in terms of ##C## and ##l##.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For any electron ##s=\frac{1}{2}##. Is there something else about sodium that gives me more information? Should I substitute in ##j = l+s##? Except of course ##j## is also ##l+s-1##, ##l+s-2##... and so on, so I'm not sure that gets me anywhere. For ##l=0## I can see that the energy shift would be zero.

I think I need to prove there are two possible values of j, which would correspond to a pair of sub-levels. Is that related to the fact that ##s=\frac{1}{2}##? Because then ##l+s-1 = |l-s|## so the only two possible values would be ##l+s## and ##l-s##?

If that proves that for ##l>0## there are 2 sub-levels then how do I derive expressions for ##\Delta E_j## in terms of ##l## and ##C##? Substitute in ##s=\frac{1}{2}##, but that still leaves a ##j##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
Is that related to the fact that s=12s=\frac{1}{2}?
Yes, that's right.
Kara386 said:
If that proves that for l>0l>0 there are 2 sub-levels then how do I derive expressions for ΔEj\Delta E_j in terms of ll and CC? Substitute in s=12s=\frac{1}{2}, but that still leaves a jj.
What are the two possible values for ##j## in terms of ##l##?

Likes Kara386
blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, that's right.

What are the two possible values for ##j## in terms of ##l##?
Ah, ##j=l+\frac{1}{2}## and ##j=l-\frac{1}{2}##. And those are the only two values it can take.

So then I'd get the energy shifts to be
##\Delta E_j = \frac{C}{2}l## and ##-\frac{C}{2}(l+1)##.

If I calculated then ##\Sigma_j \Delta E_j (2j+1)##, would that give me all possible states? Because for every combination of L, S and J there are 2J+1 quantum states. So multiplying them by the different changes in energy would give the new total number of quantum states available? Except that makes me think my values of ##\Delta E_j## must be wrong because one of them is negative and that seems to make the sum negative overall...

Last edited:
Kara386 said:
If I calculated then ##\Sigma_j \Delta E_j (2j+1)##, would that give me all possible states?
If you do that sum, the result will have the unit of energy.

Likes Kara386
blue_leaf77 said:
If you do that sum, the result will have the unit of energy.
So it represents the difference in the energy of the atom after splitting? I don't know... That 2j+1 term has come up in a couple of contexts. The Zeeman effect splits degenerate energy levels in 2j+1 equally spaced ones I think, and as I said it's also the number of possible states for a given combination of L, S and J. And then this ##\Delta E_j## is the shift in the energy levels from a no-spin state I think, for the sort of internal Zeeman effect here, or from a no-field state in the Zeeman effect. I don't know what combining them does though!

Last edited:
Kara386 said:
And then this ΔEjΔEj\Delta E_j is the shift in the energy levels from a no-spin state I think, for the sort of internal Zeeman effect here, or from a no-field state in the Zeeman effect. I don't know what combining them does though!
The energy splitting depends on the strength of the magnetic field: weak field or strong field, the latter is also referred to as Paschen-Back effect. The wikipedia page on Zeeman effect covers the related discussion.

Kara386 said:
So it represents the difference in the energy of the atom after splitting?
That form you propose above? Not necessarily, since states with different ##m_j## but same ##j## are degenerate. I don't where you got that formula from, it seems like you came up with it.

blue_leaf77 said:
The energy splitting depends on the strength of the magnetic field: weak field or strong field, the latter is also referred to as Paschen-Back effect. The wikipedia page on Zeeman effect covers the related discussion.That form you propose above? Not necessarily, since states with different ##m_j## but same ##j## are degenerate. I don't where you got that formula from, it seems like you came up with it.
Ok, so I've been confusing spin-orbit interaction with the Zeeman effect. I thought the thing where spin and orbit interact to generate a magnetic potential was like an internal Zeeman effect, or the 'anomalous' Zeeman effect. Reading that, I suppose the anomalous Zeeman effect is something different. The next part of the question asks you to calculate the sum which I did, and it's ##Cl^2##, and says comment on the significance of this. I can't because I don't know what the quantity represents, but if I did I would guess the absence of ##s## and ##j## is significant in some way.

1. What is an energy shift in excited state sodium?

An energy shift in excited state sodium refers to the change in energy levels of sodium atoms when they are excited, or in an excited state. This shift occurs when electrons in the outermost energy level of the sodium atom absorb energy and move to higher energy levels.

2. What causes the energy shift in excited state sodium?

The energy shift in excited state sodium is caused by the absorption of energy by the electrons in the outermost energy level. This can happen through various means such as heat, light, or collisions with other particles.

3. Why is the energy shift in excited state sodium important?

The energy shift in excited state sodium is important because it allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of atoms at different energy levels. This can provide insights into the structure of atoms, the behavior of electrons, and the nature of light absorption and emission.

4. How is the energy shift in excited state sodium measured?

The energy shift in excited state sodium can be measured using spectroscopy techniques, such as emission spectroscopy or absorption spectroscopy. These techniques involve directing a beam of light at the sodium atoms and analyzing the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted.

5. Can the energy shift in excited state sodium be controlled?

Yes, the energy shift in excited state sodium can be controlled by adjusting the amount and type of energy being applied to the atoms. This can be useful in various applications, such as in the creation of artificial light sources or in the development of new materials with specific properties.