Energy to lift a mass, voltage, amps, time, distance confuse

In summary: I don't think the work done can be that low. The motor would be actually supplying more energy than is needed to lift the mass. This would be a very inefficient system if we were actually lifting something more substantial.In summary, a student investigated the efficiency of a small electric motor by lifting masses through a constant distance of 1m and recording the potential difference, current, and time. The book provided values for two different masses, 0.01g and 0.03g, but there seems to be a discrepancy between the calculated work done and electrical energy supplied. The book mentions that the useful work done is equal to mgh, but does not provide a formula for electrical energy supplied. The student's calculations show a
Barclay

Homework Statement

A student investigates the efficiency of a small electric motor. He uses a motor to lift it a mass through a constant distance of 1 m. He times how long it takes to lift the masses and makes a record of the potential difference and the current of the motor.

In the book that I am reading there is a table of values. I'll give you values for two of the masses:

Mass lifted = 0.01g; voltage of motor = 2.4V; current in motor = 0.20A; time to lift the mass = 22 seconds

Mass lifted = 0.03g; voltage of motor = 2.4V; current in motor = 0.22A; time to lift the mass = 24.4 seconds

Questions are:
(i) What is the useful work done in Joules
(ii) What is the electrical energy supplied?

Homework Equations

The book says useful work done = mgh

The book does not give a formula for electrical energy supplied but I think it is E = IVt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(i) For the 0.01g mass, useful work done= mgh = (0.01/1000) x 10 x 1 = 0.0001 JFor the 0.03g mass, useful work done= mgh = (0.03/1000) x 10 x 1 = 0.0003 J

(ii) For the 0.01g mass, electrical energy supplied E = IVt = 0.2 x 2.4 x 22 = 10.56 J

For the 0.03g mass, electrical energy supplied E = IVt = 0.22 x 2.4 x 24.4 = 12.88 JI think there is something wrong here. How can the work done to lift the 0.01g mass be 0.0001 J but the energy supplied be 10.56 J ? Such a large difference. Does the motor just provide too much energy for the task? Is the excess just lost as heat and noise?

The 0.01g is very low weight isn't it. May be the author meant 0.01 kg and that would give 0.1 J useful work done.

What's going on? Are my answers incorrect or is this the way its meant to be.

Please note that this is not homework. I'm just working through a book and there are no answers for this section. So please don't fear that you'll be "giving" me the answers for a homework. I'll be happy to accept straight explanations ... without riddles:smile::smile:

Yours gratefully

Barclay

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you know to use 1 meter for the h in your mgh calculation?

The book described the experiment as lifting the mass 1m

Barclay said:
He uses a motor to lift it a mass through a constant distance of 1 m

Last edited:
Barclay said:
That picture that pasted is an error. How do i remove it?
Edit your post, select "More Options". You should see a "Delete" option beside the thumbnail.

gneill said:
Edit your post, select "More Options". You should see a "Delete" option beside the thumbnail.

Thanks for that

All your working is correct.

Barclay said:
I think there is something wrong here. How can the work done to lift the 0.01g mass be 0.0001 J but the energy supplied be 10.56 J ? Such a large difference. Does the motor just provide too much energy for the task? Is the excess just lost as heat and noise?

For small DC motor motors the rule of thumb efficiency is often stated as 50% (ie half of the electrical input energy is lost as heat).
And that is the peak efficiency, when the motor is operating away from that point, at a different RPM, the efficiency is even lower. When the motor is stalled or free running (no load) then efficiency is 0% as no work is being done.

With that said, I think It may be a typo.

Barclay said:
The book described the experiment as lifting the mass 1m

Sorry, I initially read right past that. (that is one problem created by having to scroll back and forth when evaluating a lower post)

With that resolved, I don't see any errors in your calculations; so unless the two questions are meant to be totally independent of each other, I am as confused by the results as you are.

billy_joule said:
All your working is correct.

That's a relief.

JBA said:
I am as confused by the results as you are

I've finally met someone on the forum who is confused. I thought I was the only one.

So the book have messed up somewhere I think

1. How is energy related to lifting a mass?

Energy is directly related to the amount of work required to lift a mass. The more mass you need to lift, the more energy is needed to do so. This is known as potential energy, which is stored in an object due to its position or composition.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and energy?

Voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electrical circuit. In order to lift a mass, an electrical motor must convert the electrical energy (voltage) into mechanical energy to do the work of lifting the mass.

3. How do amps affect the energy required to lift a mass?

Amps, or amperage, is a measure of the rate at which electrical current flows. The higher the amperage, the more energy is being used to lift the mass. This is because the higher amperage requires more electrical power, which in turn requires more energy.

4. How does time factor into the energy needed to lift a mass?

Time is an important factor in determining the amount of energy needed to lift a mass. The longer it takes to lift the mass, the more energy is required to do so. This is because the energy is spread out over a longer period of time.

5. How does distance play a role in the energy required to lift a mass?

Distance is directly related to the amount of work being done to lift a mass. The greater the distance the mass needs to be lifted, the more work is required, and therefore more energy is needed. This is why it takes more energy to lift a mass to a higher height compared to a lower height.