How to calculate the Work (Joules) of lifting a book

In summary, Alyssa Eiger is trying to calculate the work required to lift 4 books and stack them on top of each other in a 20 cm high stack. The books are each 2kg and 4cm thick. Using the formula for Potential Energy (mgh), her calculations show that it takes 8J. However, the answer key reports the answer as 80J, possibly due to a typo. Another potential issue is the mixed units used in the problem statement.
Alyssa Eiger
1. I'm trying to calculate work it takes to lift 4 books, and stack them on top of each other in a 20 cm high stack. The problem reports:
- 5 books are lying on the ground. They are each: 2kg, 4cm thick.

Using the formula for Potential Energy (mgh), my calculations reflect it takes 8J:
- Book 1 is already on the ground.
- Book 2 on Book 1: (2kg)*(10m/s^2)*(.04m) = 8 J
- Book 3 on Book 2: 1.6 J
- Book 4 on Book 3: 2.4 J
- Book 5 on Book 4: 3.2 J

Thus, I get 8J - however the answer key to the problem reports it's 80J. Am I missing a critical component?

Any input is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE: this should read: "- Book 2 on Book 1: (2kg)*(10m/s^2)*(.04m) = .8 J"

Hi Alyssa Eiger,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

In future, please retain formatting template in your post. Don't delete or write over it. Thanks.

Your work looks good and the result fine. Perhaps the answer key has a typo and should read "8.0 J".

gneill said:
Hi Alyssa Eiger,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

In future, please retain formatting template in your post. Don't delete or write over it. Thanks.

Your work looks good and the result fine. Perhaps the answer key has a typo and should read "8.0 J".
Thank you GNeill. I will be sure to keep formatting in the future.
AE

I have not checked your arithmetic, but one potential difficulty is in the problem statement itself. It uses mixed units. Centimeters are not SI units; this data needs to be converted to meters to have any prospect of a correct result. This is a flaw in the way the problem is posed, not in the OP solution.

1. How do I calculate the Work (Joules) of lifting a book?

The Work (Joules) of lifting a book can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to lift the book by the distance the book is lifted. The formula is W = F x d, where W represents Work in Joules, F represents the force in Newtons, and d represents the distance in meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for Work (Joules)?

The unit of measurement for Work (Joules) is Joules (J). This unit is named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule and is defined as the amount of energy expended when a force of one Newton is applied over a distance of one meter.

3. Can I use any unit of force and distance to calculate Work (Joules)?

No, it is important to use consistent units of measurement when calculating Work (Joules). The force should be measured in Newtons and the distance should be measured in meters for an accurate calculation.

4. How does the weight of the book affect the calculation of Work (Joules)?

The weight of the book is directly related to the force applied to lift it. The formula for weight is W = m x g, where W represents weight in Newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). Therefore, the weight of the book can be used as the force in the calculation of Work (Joules).

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the calculation of Work (Joules)?

Yes, there are a few other factors that may affect the calculation of Work (Joules). These include the angle at which the force is applied, the presence of friction, and the speed at which the book is lifted. These factors may require more advanced equations to accurately calculate Work (Joules).