Engineering or Computer Science

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between a career in engineering or computer programming. The person seeks opinions on the pros and cons of each career, including pay and long-term prospects. They also inquire about the possibility of switching from engineering to other fields, such as physics or computer programming. It is noted that computer science and software engineering are broader topics than just programming, and that engineering is a diverse field with various disciplines. Finally, the concept of combining engineering and computer programming through computational engineering is mentioned.
gokuls
I'm wondering whether I should be an engineer or go into computer programming. Both areas do sound interesting to me, so it's a really difficult decision. Can you guys help me, as into give me pros and cons of both. If you are in one of these careers, first-person opinions would be much appreciated. The types of comparisons I want are, how do the pays compare, how are the long-run prospects of both careers, plus anything else that would be important.

Also, say I start my undergraduate program in engineering for one year, would I be able to switch from becoming an engineer to a physicist and/or computer programmer. Becoming a physicist also sounds appealing for me as well, but I'm afraid that you have to be extraordinarily well in physics to get a good job.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't necessarily study "computer programming" in school. You study computer science and/or software engineering, which are a lot broader topics and not just about writing code. Software engineering curriculum has a focus on software development and software business and computer science curriculum has a focus on information theory, discrete math and varying amounts of software development topics, although there's obviously overlap between the two curricula. Anyhow, writing code is primarily studied by writing code.

Engineering is also too broad field to assess it just as one field. There are very different studies and jobs and loads of disciplines. Computer engineering and electronics engineering are closest disciplines to "computer programming", they include some computer science courses, although the overall curricula and career prospects have considerable emphasis on hardware design and "close to the metal" software.

For combining engineering and computer programming, there's also CSE (Computational Science & Engineering, or just 'Computational Engineering').

Last edited:

Related to Engineering or Computer Science

1. What is the difference between Engineering and Computer Science?

Engineering is a broad field that involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain physical systems and structures. Computer Science, on the other hand, focuses on the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, development, and use.

2. What is the job outlook for careers in Engineering or Computer Science?

The job outlook for both Engineering and Computer Science is positive. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in these fields is projected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations, with a high demand for skilled professionals in various industries.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in Engineering or Computer Science?

To succeed in Engineering or Computer Science, one needs a strong foundation in math, problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Additionally, excellent communication, teamwork, and creativity are essential for success in these fields.

4. Is a degree in Engineering or Computer Science necessary to work in these fields?

While a degree in Engineering or Computer Science is not always necessary, it can open up many career opportunities and provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills. Some employers may require a degree for certain positions, but experience and certifications can also be valuable in these fields.

5. What are the current and future advancements in Engineering and Computer Science?

There are many exciting advancements happening in Engineering and Computer Science, including the development of more efficient and sustainable technologies, advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning, and the integration of technology into various industries such as healthcare and transportation. As technology continues to advance, the possibilities for innovation and growth in these fields are endless.