Engineering physics what can I do?

In summary: Physicists develop the laws of the universe, while philosophers try to understand them. As a whole, physics and philosophy are very different fields.
ObHassell
I'm planning on going to the U of A and there is an engineering Physics program there, all I have heard about majoring in Physics is that it's not easy to get an engineering job as with a degree in Physics, so I'm wondering about engineering physics, how are the job prospects?

fyi: the curriculum for Engineering Physics at UA is:

Basic Physics classes:
Intro Classical Mechanics
Intro Optics and Thermodynamics
Intro Electricity and Magnetism
Intro Quantum Physics and Special Relativity
Mathematical Methods in Physics
Intermediate E&M 1 and 2
Optics
Intermediate Classical Mechanics
Quantum 1 and 2
Thermal Physics
Methods in Experimental Physics 1 and 2

Engineering classes:
Intro to Engineering
Mechanics of Solids
Elements of Electrical Engineering
Intro to Mat Sciences
Intro to Fluid Mechanics

then there are 18 units of technical electives to specialize in a type of engineering.

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Post deleted due to irrelevancy to thread

Last edited:
EDIT: Post deleted due to irrelevancy to thread

Last edited:
Thanx for the insight! It's helpful! I guess i should have been more specific, I'm not going to University of Alberta...I'm going to the University of Arizona...lol

It depends what country you are in. In the US, it may be tough to find such a job.

It's probably better to base your career decisions on hard facts rather than grapevine rumours. There are lots of jobs out there for people with physics degrees, they're just not necessarily advertised as for someone with a physics degree.

The advantage of engineering physics is that it can qualify you to eventually become a professional engineer.

Choppy said:
It's probably better to base your career decisions on hard facts rather than grapevine rumours. There are lots of jobs out there for people with physics degrees, they're just not necessarily advertised as for someone with a physics degree.

The advantage of engineering physics is that it can qualify you to eventually become a professional engineer.

TRUE! but I think it may be fair to say that physics is closely tied to philosophy. And like most philosophers your primary job opportunities, at least in the US, will be teaching. Or perhaps military R&D. The basic relationship is that physicists develop the laws of the universe and the engineers use it to do something. both have aspects of each other, but as a whole are very different.

Here's a breakdown of Canadian physics graduates who received a B.Sc. in physics from 1985-1996. Of these, roughly 25% had gone on to complete a M.Sc. as their highest degree and 25% had gone on to complete a Ph.D.
* Research and Development - 25.8%
* Teaching - 24.1%
* Computing - 12.2%
* Health Sciences - 6.2%
* Management and administration - 4.6%
* Product Development - 4.0%
* Consulting - 4.0%
* Sales and Marketing - 3.4%
* Other - 15.8%
https://www.cap.ca/careers/home/employmentprospects.htmlI don't know how the study question was worded, but people in academia play multiple roles teaching and in research.

I don't think it's fair to equate physicists with philosophers and imply their job opportunities will be primarily as teachers.

Related to Engineering physics what can I do?

What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of science that combines principles from both engineering and physics to solve real-world problems. It focuses on the application of physics laws and theories to design, develop, and optimize various technologies and systems.

What can I do with a degree in engineering physics?

With a degree in engineering physics, you can pursue a variety of career paths. You can work in industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, robotics, nanotechnology, and more. You can also choose to work as a research scientist, design engineer, or technical consultant.

What skills do I need to have for a career in engineering physics?

To succeed in engineering physics, you need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. You should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also essential, as you will often work in interdisciplinary teams.

Is a degree in engineering physics challenging?

Yes, a degree in engineering physics is challenging. It requires a high level of dedication, hard work, and critical thinking skills. You will be exposed to complex mathematical and scientific concepts, and you will need to apply them to real-world problems. However, the rewards of a career in engineering physics can be highly satisfying and fulfilling.

How can I prepare for a degree in engineering physics?

To prepare for a degree in engineering physics, it is recommended to take advanced mathematics and physics courses in high school. You can also gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities. Additionally, developing strong study habits and time management skills can help you succeed in this challenging field.