Entangled Particles and Black Holes: A Conundrum of Observation?

In summary: See these:Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen correlation in gravitational fieldAuthors: Hiroaki Terashima, Masahito UedaAbstract: For quantum communication in a gravitational field, the properties of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) correlation are studied within the framework of general relativity. Acceleration and gravity are shown to deteriorate the perfect anti-correlation of an entangled system. This has important implications for quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation.
JC99
I was watching a show on TV about physics and a question popped into my head that I can't find an answer to. I remember hearing it may be possible to create tiny black holes in the LHC, so maybe you can test this, I don't know. Here is my question...

What would happen if you took two entangled particles and put one in your lab and shot the other one into a black hole? Would you be able to observe what happens inside a black hole by observing the particle in your lab?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very good question, and I certainly don't know the answer. Maybe nobody does. Any black holes produced at the LHC would have a lifetime far too short to try the experiment, so I'm afraid that this is a "gedankenexperiment" for now, but I'm fascinated to know if anyone has a proposed explanation for what would happen.

JC99 said:
What would happen if you took two entangled particles and put one in your lab and shot the other one into a black hole? Would you be able to observe what happens inside a black hole by observing the particle in your lab?

What would you expect to see exactly? It's not like there is any signal to receive.

I would expect that the interaction of Alice with the black hole would lead to a collapse of her wave function. That would in turn lead to a collapse of Bob's as well. Not a lot to be gained from that, unfortunately.

DrChinese said:
What would you expect to see exactly? It's not like there is any signal to receive.

I would expect that the interaction of Alice with the black hole would lead to a collapse of her wave function. That would in turn lead to a collapse of Bob's as well. Not a lot to be gained from that, unfortunately.

This is a possible explanation, but why should this happen? We know that an observer passing the event horizon sees nothing unusual, and does not even notice that they have passed the event horizon. Also, the gravitational field at the horizon can be made as low as desired by increasing the mass of the black hole. So what would cause the collapse of the wave function?

phyzguy said:
This is a possible explanation, but why should this happen? We know that an observer passing the event horizon sees nothing unusual, and does not even notice that they have passed the event horizon. Also, the gravitational field at the horizon can be made as low as desired by increasing the mass of the black hole. So what would cause the collapse of the wave function?

OK, then alternately Alice doesn't see her wave function collapsed. And then we measure Bob. No difference in what we see.

A Physical Review Letters paper, Alice falls into a black hole: Entanglement in non-inertial frames, written by I. Fuentes-Schuller and R. B. Mann looks interesting. The paper's last sentence:
In curved spacetime, however, the notion of entanglement can be expected to become a rather subtle one, as does the notion of particles.

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0410172

George Jones said:
A Physical Review Letters paper, Alice falls into a black hole: Entanglement in non-inertial frames, written by I. Fuentes-Schuller and R. B. Mann looks interesting. The paper's last sentence:http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0410172
I am sure there are subtleties associated with entanglement in curved space-time. Still as DrChinese answers' convey, we have no reason to expect anything useful from the experiment. There might be correlations between the results of Alice and Bob according to theory, but if they do not communicate classically with one another, they can't know those correlations experimentally.

With a horizon between them, although you still have the correlations, Alice and Bob cannot talk to one another and so they cannot measure those correlations. I fail to see why this is a "good question" in this respect. To me this is rather an "academic question".

humanino said:
I am sure there are subtleties associated with entanglement in curved space-time. Still as DrChinese answers' convey, we have no reason to expect anything useful from the experiment. There might be correlations between the results of Alice and Bob according to theory, but if they do not communicate classically with one another, they can't know those correlations experimentally.

With a horizon between them, although you still have the correlations, Alice and Bob cannot talk to one another and so they cannot measure those correlations. I fail to see why this is a "good question" in this respect. To me this is rather an "academic question".

See these:

Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen correlation in gravitational field

Authors: Hiroaki Terashima, Masahito Ueda
Abstract: For quantum communication in a gravitational field, the properties of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) correlation are studied within the framework of general relativity. Acceleration and gravity are shown to deteriorate the perfect anti-correlation of an EPR pair of spins in the same direction, and apparently decrease the degree of the violation of Bell's inequality. To maintain the perfect EPR correlation and the maximal violation of Bell's inequality, observers must measure the spins in appropriately chosen different directions. Which directions are appropriate depends on the velocity of the particles, the curvature of the spacetime, and the positions of the observers. Near the event horizon of a black hole, the appropriate directions depend so sensitively on the positions of the observers that even a very small uncertainty in the identification of the observers' positions leads to a fatal error in quantum communication, unless the observers fall into the black hole together with the particles.
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0307114

The EPR correlation in Kerr-Newman spacetime

Authors: Jackson Said, Kristian Zarb Adami
Abstract: The EPR correlation has become an integral part of quantum communications as has general relativity in classical communication theory, however when combined an apparent deterioration is observed for spin states. We consider appropriate changes in directions of measurement to exploit full EPR entanglement for a pair of particles and show that it can be deduced only up to the outer even horizon of a Kerr-Newman black hole, even in the case of freely falling observer.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0788

Maaneli said:
See these:
So the correlations may be modified, possibly to the point where they are expected to be completely washed out. But it does not change (if only to make the situation even worse) the primary problem IMHO that the OP does not realize that classroom perfect correlations already can not be used for communication.

Last edited:
humanino said:
So the correlations may be modified, possibly to the point where they are expected to be completely washed out. But it does not change (if only to make the situation even worse) the primary problem IMHO that the OP does not realize that classroom perfect correlations already can not be used for communication.

Well, there is a possibility that it actually does something quite interesting. Namely, from the point of view of deBB theory, the entangled pair that falls into the event horizon may in fact be thrown out of quantum equilibrium and then superluminally signal its state to the external entangled pair:

Black Holes, Information Loss, and Hidden Variables

Authors: Antony Valentini
"We consider black-hole evaporation from a hidden-variables perspective. It is suggested that Hawking information loss, associated with the transition from a pure to a mixed quantum state, is compensated for by the creation of deviations from Born-rule probabilities outside the event horizon. The resulting states have non-standard or 'nonequilibrium' distributions of hidden variables, with a specific observable signature - a breakdown of the sinusoidal modulation of quantum probabilities for two-state systems. Outgoing Hawking radiation is predicted to contain statistical anomalies outside the domain of the quantum formalism. Further, it is argued that even for a macroscopic black hole, if one half of an entangled EPR-pair should fall behind the event horizon, the other half will develop similar statistical anomalies. We propose a simple rule, whereby the relative entropy of the nonequilibrum (hidden-variable) distribution generated outside the horizon balances the increase in von Neumann entropy associated with the pure-to-mixed transition. It is argued that there are relationships between hidden-variable and von Neumann entropies even in non-gravitational physics. We consider the possibility of observing anomalous polarisation probabilities, in the radiation from primordial black holes, and in the atomic cascade emission of entangled photon pairs from black-hole accretion discs."
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0407032

Re the paper above, see section 2.4 for the specific argument for why quantum equilibrium may not be stable across the event horizon of a black hole.

Hidden Variables... hmmph. I don't think this would be useful at all as an experiment. There seems to be some serious drift from the OP's question, which has been answered in the two possible ways: wavefunction go bye bye, or you wait arbitrarily long period of time and nothing changes.

Maaneli said:
Well, there is a possibility that it actually does something quite interesting.
Interesting to whom ? In 6 years, the paper has been cited only once by another author than the original one, and this citation is a speculative dissertation on non-locality not even published in a peer reviewed journal either, but in Oriti's collection "Towards quantum gravity". Do you know whether Valentini attempted to publish it ?

I personally find it entertaining or cute, but certainly unhelpful to the OP.

humanino said:
Interesting to whom ?

If Valentini's prediction is correct, it would/should be highly interesting to anyone who thinks unitary evolution should be preserved inside a black hole - because it would imply that unitary evolution is not preserved inside a black hole, and it would give us conclusive evidence that hidden variables exist.

humanino said:
In 6 years, the paper has been cited only once by another author than the original one, and this citation is a speculative dissertation on non-locality not even published in a peer reviewed journal either, but in Oriti's collection "Towards quantum gravity".

Do you know whether Valentini attempted to publish it ?

As far as I know, no, not that particular paper. However, he did publish another paper in which he does discuss the same idea (see section 5):

Astrophysical and Cosmological Tests of Quantum Theory
Journal reference: J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 40 (2007) 3285--3303
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0610032

humanino said:
I personally find it entertaining or cute, but certainly unhelpful to the OP.

I think it's actually quite relevant to the OP's question, as Valentini's proposal suggests a possible means by which an EPR pair could indeed tell us (via superluminal signaling from a nonequilibrium state inside the event horizon) what is going on inside the event horizon of a black hole. Sure, it's speculative, but no more so than the OP's original question.

Last edited:
Maaneli said:
From another perspective, this is just placing and pushing for dBB-type approaches where nobody called or needed it.

Maaneli said:
Astrophysical and Cosmological Tests of Quantum Theory
Journal reference: J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 40 (2007) 3285--3303
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0610032
Now I remember this paper. Thanks for pointing that out, since you wish to discuss it, maybe you can enlighten me : considering the uttermost importance of the claims in this paper (namely make of dBB a testable theory instead of a mere difficult interpretation), how come in nearly 5 years nobody quoted it ?

humanino said:
From another perspective, this is just placing and pushing for dBB-type approaches where nobody called or needed it.

While a deBB-based approach may not have been explicitly called for, the fact remains that it suggests a novel and relevant answer to the OP's question. And that, IMO, is reason enough to mention it. Also, don't forget that I initially posted two papers that answer the OP's question using standard approaches to QM and GR. So I've actually presented a diversity of approaches to the OP's question. Also, I think it often gets forgotten that no one particular formulation or interpretation of QM has a monopoly on physics. If someone has a reference which gives a different answer to the OP's question from, say, a Consistent-Histories approach, I wouldn't be opposed to it being mentioned as well (even though I personally don't take Consistent-Histories very seriously).

humanino said:
Now I remember this paper. Thanks for pointing that out, since you wish to discuss it, maybe you can enlighten me : considering the uttermost importance of the claims in this paper (namely make of dBB a testable theory instead of a mere difficult interpretation), how come in nearly 5 years nobody quoted it ?

I don't know, that's more of a sociological question, but here are some possible reasons:

(1) Most string theorists probably think that the holographic principle can preserve unitary evolution across the event horizon of a black hole, and thus they would not be likely to have a reason for considering the possibility of a breakdown of quantum equilibrium.

(2) Most field theorists are not aware of the existence of nonrelativistic deBB theory, let alone its field-theoretic generalizations (which, by the way, have only really had significant advances within the past 5-10 years).

(3) Most field theorists probably think that the motivation for hidden-variables is dubious or disproven to begin with (for example because of a misunderstanding of what the violations of Bell's inequalities actually imply); so just by seeing the phrase 'hidden variables' in the title, they might be less inclined to read further.

(4) Even within deBB theory research, there are people (particularly the Rutgers-based 'Bohmian mechanics' group) who don't think it's fruitful to look for quantum nonequilibrium, who have a personal dislike of Valentini, and who have tried to downplay Valentini's ideas without much critique.

(5) There might be physicists who disagree with Valentini's arguments, but chose (for whatever reasons) not to write a paper critiquing it.

There might be other reasons, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Anyway, this is getting off topic now.

Last edited:
Maaneli said:
Anyway, this is getting off topic now.
Thanks for you answers Maaneli, I appreciate.
Maaneli said:
I know I said this is off topic, but I actually did a Google search of that last Valentini paper, and found 5 references which cite the paper (3 of which are not by Valentini):

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...a=X&ei=giwgTJCZEMP58Aa5n6yVAQ&ved=0CBQQzgIwAA
Note that my question was genuine, I am really surprised that such an important claim receives so little attention. Hopefully Valentini will take care of testing his ideas, would data become available (there has been recent claims of uncontrolled errors in WMAP power spectrum BTW).

humanino said:
Thanks for you answers Maaneli, I appreciate.
Note that my question was genuine, I am really surprised that such an important claim receives so little attention. Hopefully Valentini will take care of testing his ideas, would data become available (there has been recent claims of uncontrolled errors in WMAP power spectrum BTW).

You're welcome. I agree that it's surprising. In any case, yes, I'm familiar with those claims. Valentini is expecting the data from the current Planck satellite to allow for a precise test.

Maaneli said:
Re the paper above, see section 2.4 for the specific argument for why quantum equilibrium may not be stable across the event horizon of a black hole.
I like the Valentini ideas, but I do not like the fact that his approach is not relativistic covariant.
As I stressed many times, a covariant version od deBB theory is also possible. See e.g.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1002.3226

For a covariant treatment of entanglement between inside and outside degrees of freedom in a black-hole background see
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0905.0538
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0912.1938

I have started a new thread in Independent Research:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=408231

This is on another subject off-topic to this thread. I wanted to invite my friends here to come over and give me your thoughts on a paper I have written on a proposed experiment. Thanks!

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Demystifier said:
I like the Valentini ideas, but I do not like the fact that his approach is not relativistic covariant.
As I stressed many times, a covariant version od deBB theory is also possible. See e.g.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1002.3226

For a covariant treatment of entanglement between inside and outside degrees of freedom in a black-hole background see
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0905.0538
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0912.1938

Of course, by covariant, you must mean "fundamentally covariant", because anyone can construct a covariant particle dynamics on a preferred foliation. I think it might be best for us to resume our discussion on the old thread, "Pilot waves, fundamental forces, etc.", regarding whether your proposal of using a synchronization parameter and treating time and space on equal footing is truly fundamentally covariant or not, and whether or not it does have the condition of equivariance. We never got to finish that discussion, mainly because I became too overwhelmed with deadlines and work and kept forgetting to reply to the thread. My apologies about that.

Last edited:
Maaneli said:
Of course, by covariant, you must mean "fundamentally covariant", because anyone can construct a covariant particle dynamics on a preferred foliation. I think it might be best for us to resume our discussion on the old thread, "Pilot waves, fundamental forces, etc.", regarding whether your proposal of using a synchronization parameter and treating time and space on equal footing is truly fundamentally covariant or not, and whether or not it does have the condition of equivariance. We never got to finish that discussion, mainly because I became too overwhelmed with deadlines and work and kept forgetting to reply to the thread. My apologies about that.
I would like to continue the discussion there. But I will wait for your first step. :smile:

What i think is that you can not "observe" entangled particles. what you do, is that you measure them. when you find out the spin of an electron let's say, your are not finding it out, you are just making it be the way you "measured" it. its the Bell's therom if i I am not mistaken, check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This happens when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with an extremely high density.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to counteract its own gravitational force. The star then collapses and forms a singularity, which is surrounded by an event horizon, the point of no return for anything entering the black hole.

3. What is entanglement in relation to black holes?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. In the context of black holes, entanglement can occur between particles that are on opposite sides of the event horizon, leading to the concept of "black hole complementarity."

4. How does entanglement affect our understanding of black holes?

Entanglement provides a potential solution to the information paradox of black holes. According to classical physics, information that falls into a black hole is lost forever, but quantum mechanics suggests that information cannot be destroyed. Entanglement between particles on opposite sides of the event horizon could allow for the transfer of information, preserving it in some form.

5. Can we observe entanglement in black holes?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly observe entanglement in black holes. However, scientists are studying the effects of entanglement in quantum systems to better understand its potential role in black holes. Through theoretical models and experiments, we may be able to indirectly observe entanglement in black holes in the future.