Entropy Change from Sun to Earth: 1000 J Radiation Transfer Calculation

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature difference between the surface of the Sun and Earth, and the entropy change that occurs when 1,000 J of energy is transferred from the Sun to the Earth through radiation. The question is about the sign of the entropy change and whether it should be positive or negative. It is concluded that the entropy change must be positive because the process is irreversible.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

The temperature at the surface of the Sun is approximately
5 700 K, and the temperature at the surface of the
Earth is approximately 290 K. What entropy change
occurs when 1 000 J of energy is transferred by radiation
from the Sun to the Earth?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to solve this problem. My question is more about the sign than about the calculation.
I left my answer of ΔS as negative, but the book lists it as positive. It seems to me like the change should be negative because the T is cooler on Earth hence entropy should decrease within this closed system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah of course that makes sense! Since this is an irreversible process the entropy must increase.
Thank you!

Related to Entropy Change from Sun to Earth: 1000 J Radiation Transfer Calculation

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work.

2. How is entropy related to thermodynamics?

Entropy is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformations. It is used to describe the direction of energy flow and the efficiency of energy conversion processes.

3. Is entropy always increasing?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the amount of energy available to do work decreases as the system becomes more disordered.

4. What are some examples of entropy in everyday life?

Entropy can be seen in many everyday processes, such as the melting of ice, the rusting of metal, and the mixing of different substances. It is also related to concepts like evaporation, diffusion, and combustion.

5. How is entropy calculated?

The mathematical formula for entropy is S = k ln W, where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of possible microstates in a system. This formula relates the macroscopic concept of entropy to the microscopic behavior of particles in a system.