Entropy Change of Touching Blocks That Reach Equillibrium

In summary, the blocks of copper and aluminum reach equilibrium at 48oC after exchanging 1065 J of energy. The change in entropy of the aluminum block is 3.316 J/K, while the change in entropy of the copper block is -3.316 J/K. The change in the energy of the universe is 0.
Joosh
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello, folks! So, I've come across this question on my Physics homework, and I'm not entirely sure how to finish all the parts. I've included the parts I've gotten correct and what I've gone to get those answers.

Use the exact values you enter in previous answer(s) to make later calculation(s).

A block of copper at a temperature of 60°C is placed in contact with a block of aluminum at a temperature of 44°C in an insulated container. As a result of a transfer of 1065 J of energy from the copper to the aluminum, the final equilibrium temperature of the two blocks is 48°C.

(a) What is the approximate change in the entropy of the aluminum block?

(1/T) = ΔS/ΔE
Plugging the numbers in, I get
(1/(273+48)K) = ΔS/1065 J
Solving for ΔS gave me 3.316 J/K, which was correct, according to WebAssign.

(b) What is the approximate change in the entropy of the copper block?
I figured it would be -3.316 J/K since the change in energy of the copper would be -1065 J and the temperature would still be 48°C since it's at equillibrium, but WebAssign seems to disagree with me.

(c) What is the approximate change in the entropy of the Universe?

(d) What is the change in the energy of the Universe?
This one is, rather predictably, 0.

Some possibly useful equations:
  • (1/T) = ΔS/ΔE
  • S = k*lnΩ
  • ħ = k√(k/m)
  • k = 1.4*10-23 J/K
  • Ω = (q+N-1)!/(q!)(N-1)!

Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I think you might have "lucked out" on part (a). The temperature of the aluminum block changes from 44 oC to 48oC. The block only reaches 48oC at the very end of the process. So, 48o does not very well represent the temperature of the block during the process. What would be a better temperature value to use?

It really would be more accurate to calculate the changes in entropy of the two blocks using the average temperatures, rather than the final temperature. The average temperatures are 52 C and 46 C.

Oops. I didn't see TSny's post.

Ah, I see what the issue was. Thanks, guys!

Joosh said:
Ah, I see what the issue was. Thanks, guys!
If you go through the differential equations, you will find ##\Delta S=\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T}\ln(1+\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})##.
For small ##\Delta T## that approximates ##\frac{\Delta Q}{T_i}##. Expanding the ln to the second term matches using the average temperature, as TSny and Chester suggest.

haruspex said:
If you go through the differential equations, you will find ##\Delta S=\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T}\ln(1+\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})##.
For small ##\Delta T## that approximates ##\frac{\Delta Q}{T_i}##. Expanding the ln to the second term matches using the average temperature, as TSny and Chester suggest.
I agree with your expression for ##\Delta S##. But I'm not getting that the expansion to second order in ##\Delta T/T_i## corresponds to using the average temperature. Would you mind checking this?

TSny said:
I agree with your expression for ##\Delta S##. But I'm not getting that the expansion to second order in ##\Delta T/T_i## corresponds to using the average temperature. Would you mind checking this?
Well, it's not an exact match, but the difference is third order.
##\frac{\Delta T}{T_i+\frac 12\Delta T}=\frac{\Delta T}{T_i}(1+\frac{\Delta T}{2T_i})^{-1}= \frac{\Delta T}{T_i}(1-\frac{\Delta T}{2T_i})+O((\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^3)=\frac{\Delta T}{T_i}-\frac 12(\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^2+O((\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^3)=\ln(1+\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})+O((\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^3)##

haruspex said:
Well, it's not an exact match, but the difference is third order.
##\frac{\Delta T}{T_i+\frac 12\Delta T}=\frac{\Delta T}{T_i}(1+\frac{\Delta T}{2T_i})^{-1}= \frac{\Delta T}{T_i}(1-\frac{\Delta T}{2T_i})+O((\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^3)=\frac{\Delta T}{T_i}-\frac 12(\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^2+O((\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^3)=\ln(1+\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})+O((\frac{\Delta T}{T_i})^3)##
OK. That's nice. Thanks.

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is the measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In other words, it is a measure of the amount of energy that is no longer available to do work in a system.

How is entropy change related to touching blocks?

In the context of touching blocks, entropy change refers to the change in disorder or randomness as the blocks reach equilibrium. As the blocks touch and interact with each other, their positions and arrangements become more random, resulting in an increase in entropy.

What factors affect the entropy change of touching blocks?

The entropy change of touching blocks is affected by the number of blocks, the size and shape of the blocks, the temperature of the system, and the forces or interactions between the blocks. These factors determine the level of disorder and randomness in the system.

Is entropy change always positive for touching blocks?

In most cases, yes. As the blocks reach equilibrium and become more randomly arranged, the entropy change is usually positive. However, there are some scenarios where the entropy change can be negative, such as if the blocks are arranged in a highly ordered pattern initially.

How is the entropy change of touching blocks calculated?

The entropy change of touching blocks can be calculated using the formula ΔS = k ln(W), where ΔS is the change in entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of the system. This formula applies to both classical and quantum systems.