How Does Entropy Change Affect Heat Transfer in a Cooling Rock?

In summary: It is actually the arithmetic mean of the logs. So the correct temperature is ##\exp(\frac{\ln(T_f)+\ln(T_i)}{2})##. This is what I calculated in my previous post. The geometric mean is the square root of that. So the geometric mean is T_i at the initial temperature is T_f at the final temperature is 600 K.Note that the log-mean is always between the arithmetic and geometric means. When the difference in the two temperatures is large, the log-mean will be closer to the geometric mean, and when the difference is small, the log-mean will be closer to the arithmetic mean. In the limit of zero temperature change, the log-mean is
Henry Shi

Homework Statement

A hot rock ejected from a volcano's lava fountain cools from 1100º C to 40.0º C and its entropy decreases by 950 J/K. How much heat transfer occurs from the rock? (Source: OpenStax "College Physics for AP Students", Chapter 15.6)

Homework Equations

I used the equation ΔSh + ΔSc = ΔStotal, where h and c are the hot and cold states of an object, respectively.
ΔS=Q/T, where Q is joules and T is temperature Kelvin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation, we plug in the variables:
-Qh/Th + Qc/Tc = -950
I set Qh=Qc
-Q/1373 + Q/313 = -950
Solving this equation, I got Q = 3.9 x 105 Joules

However the correct answer is 8.01 x 105 J
My answer is incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ΔS=ΔQ/T only applies for small ΔQ, ΔS. As each ΔQ is lost, the temperature changes.

Hello and welcome to PF!
Henry Shi said:
I used the equation ΔSh + ΔSc = ΔStotal, where h and c are the hot and cold states of an object, respectively.
I took a quick look at that section of the text
https://cnx.org/contents/jQSmhtXo@14.38:qmhggndY@2/Entropy-and-the-Second-Law-of-
It appears that you are using a formula that applies to the specific case of a Carnot cycle. That's not what you are dealing with in this problem.

ΔS=Q/T, where Q is joules and T is temperature Kelvin.

This formula applies to cases where the object's temperature remains constant while heat is added or removed, as in the example in the "Order to Disorder" subsection. Again, this is not what you are dealing with in this problem (as already pointed out by @haruspex). Unfortunately, the text does not appear to explain or give any example of finding the entropy change for an object that changes its temperature while heat is added or removed. This generally requires calculus. The textbook's answer is an approximate result in which you treat the object as having a constant temperature equal to the average of the initial and final temperatures. What do you get for Q if you use ΔS=Q/T where T is the average temperature?

@TSny I used your method and got the following:

The average of the two temperatures is 843 K.
I then plugged into the formula ΔS=Q/T, with ΔS=950 and T=843.
950 = Q/843
Q = 800850 = 8.01 x 105 J

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the correct formula for ##\Delta S## is used (rather than the approximate formula in your reference based on the average of the two temperatures), the correct answer is 6.96 x 105 J/K

Chestermiller said:
If the correct formula for ##\Delta S## is used (rather than the approximate formula in your reference based on the average of the two temperatures), the correct answer is 6.96 x 105 J/K
That's using ##\Delta S=\Delta Q\frac{\ln(T_f)-\ln(T_i)}{T_f-T_i}##, right? I get 6.8 x 105 J/K.

For an approximate answer, I believe it would be better to use the geometric mean of the temperatures than the arithmetic mean. But why approximate?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
That's using ##\Delta S=\Delta Q\frac{\ln(T_f)-\ln(T_i)}{T_f-T_i}##, right? I get 6.8 x 105 J/K.

For an approximate answer, I believe it would be better to use the geometric mean of the temperatures than the arithmetic mean. But why approximate?
Sorry. Arithmetic error. 6.8 is right.

The correct mean to use, as evidenced by your equation, is what we engineers call the log-mean.

1. What is entropy decrease of a rock?

Entropy decrease of a rock refers to the process of a rock becoming more organized and less random. It is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, and a decrease in entropy means that the system is becoming more ordered.

2. How does entropy decrease affect a rock?

Entropy decrease can affect a rock by causing it to become more structured, organized, or compact. This can happen through physical processes such as weathering, erosion, or sedimentation, which can lead to the rock losing its random arrangement of particles and becoming more ordered.

3. Can entropy decrease occur in a closed system?

No, entropy decrease cannot occur in a closed system. According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will either remain constant or increase over time. Entropy decrease can only occur in an open system where energy can be exchanged with the surroundings.

4. How is the entropy decrease of a rock measured?

The entropy decrease of a rock can be measured using the formula ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred to or from the rock, and T is the absolute temperature. This formula takes into account the energy exchange and temperature changes that occur during the process of entropy decrease.

5. What factors can contribute to the entropy decrease of a rock?

There are several factors that can contribute to the entropy decrease of a rock, including weathering, erosion, and sedimentation as mentioned before. Other factors can include pressure, temperature changes, chemical reactions, and even biological processes. These processes can cause the rock to become more organized and decrease in entropy over time.