How much heat in joules must be added to 0.841 kg of aluminu

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of heat in joules needed to change 0.841 kg of aluminum from a solid state at 130 °C to a liquid state at 660 °C, with a melting point of 660 °C. The equation used is Q = mL, and the total heat needed is calculated using the specific heat of aluminum (0.9 J/g) and the heat of fusion (400,000 J/kg). After correcting a mistake in the original attempt at a solution, the final answer is not yet determined.
Alice7979

Homework Statement

How much heat in joules must be added to 0.841 kg of aluminum to change it from a solid at 130 °C to a liquid at 660 °C (its melting point)? The latent heat of fusion for aluminum is 4.0 x 105 J/kg.

Homework Equations

Q = mL
Total = mc∆t + mL = m(c∆t +l)

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is it .841(.9(660-130) + 4*105) but the answer i get isn't right

Physics news on Phys.org
Alice7979 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is it .841(.9(660-130) + 4*105) but the answer i get isn't right
That 0.9, the specific heat of aluminum, is not in standard units. It’s 0.9 kilojoules / kg (or equivalently, 0.9 J / g) and not 0.9 J / kg

Likes Alice7979
Also, that heat of fusion should be 400000 J/kg (actually 321000 J/kg according to an internet source).

Likes Nathanael
Chestermiller said:
Also, that heat of fusion should be 400000 J/kg (actually 321000 J/kg according to an internet source).
I thought it was weird to say 4*105 hahaha 10^5 makes a lot more sense o:)

Nathanael said:
That 0.9, the specific heat of aluminum, is not in standard units. It’s 0.9 kilojoules / kg (or equivalently, 0.9 J / g) and not 0.9 J / kg
Nathanael said:
I thought it was weird to say 4*105 hahaha 10^5 makes a lot more sense o:)
Yea I didn't realize it changed it to that.

1. How do I calculate the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 0.841 kg of aluminum?

To calculate the amount of heat needed, you can use the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the aluminum, c is the specific heat capacity of aluminum, and ΔT is the change in temperature. By plugging in the values, you can determine the amount of heat needed in joules.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of aluminum?

The specific heat capacity of aluminum is 0.902 J/g·K.

3. Can I use a different unit of measurement for mass and temperature in the formula?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, you can use kilograms for mass and degrees Celsius for temperature.

4. Is the amount of heat needed the same for all substances?

No, the amount of heat needed varies for different substances due to their different specific heat capacities. Each substance has a unique specific heat capacity that determines how much heat is needed to raise its temperature.

5. How does the change in temperature affect the amount of heat needed?

The larger the change in temperature, the more heat is needed. This is because the formula includes ΔT, which represents the change in temperature. The greater the change, the more heat energy is required to raise the temperature of the substance.