Entropy Generation Homework: 100kPa-500kPa, 300K-500K, 600K

In summary, the scheme involves reversible adiabatic compression of the air and then internally reversible isobaric heating. The work and entropy generation are determined. The final temperature at the end of step 1 (according to your calculations) is 475 K. The final temperature at the end of step 2 is 500K. So the entropy change of the system is Cp ln(500/475). What is the amount of heat removed from the reservoir is step 2? I get Cp (500-475).
albertov123

Homework Statement

Air at 100 kPa, 300 K is to be delivered to a pipeline at 500 kPa, 500 K. The scheme involves reversible adiabatic compression of the air and then internally reversible isobaric heating. Assume that, heat is exchanged with a reservoir at 600 K.

Determine the work and entropy generation.

Homework Equations

v = RT/P

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
  • For the reversible adiabatic compression part. (Between 1-2)
I have found both the work and the entropy generation.
  • For the internally reversible isobaric heating (Between 2-3)
I have found boundary work from PdV but I'm not clear on how to find the entropy generation for this heating process.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm interested in what you got for the entropy change in the adiabatic reversible compression. Do you know the general equation for the entropy change of an ideal gas between two thermodynamic equilibrium states? Please show your work for step 2 also.

Chet

• For the reversible adiabatic compression part. (Between 1-2)
v1 = 0.861 m3/kgFrom T2/T1 = (P2/P1)(k-1)/k

T2 = 475.15 K- W = U = cv (T2-T1) W = - 126 kJReversible adiabatic means isentropic. Sgen = 0

• For the internally reversible isobaric heating (Between 2-3)
W = PdV = 500 kPa . (v3-v2)From v=RT/P

v2 = 0.273 m3/kg

v3 = 0.287 m3/kgW = 7 kJ

q - w = ΔH = cp (T3-T2)

q = 32 kJ/kg

Sgen = cpln(T3/T2) - Q/T

This leads me to negative entropy generation. So, I must be making some wrong turns on the way.

The final temperature at the end of step 1 (according to your calculations) is 475 K. The final temperature at the end of step 2 is 500K. So the entropy change of the system is Cp ln(500/475). What is the amount of heat removed from the reservoir is step 2? I get Cp (500-475).

Chestermiller said:
The final temperature at the end of step 1 (according to your calculations) is 475 K. The final temperature at the end of step 2 is 500K. So the entropy change of the system is Cp ln(500/475). What is the amount of heat removed from the reservoir is step 2? I get Cp (500-475).

From q - w = ΔH = cp (T3-T2)
I get q = 32 kJ/kg

sgen = Δs - q/T = 0,052 - 32 kJ / 600 K = 0.052 - 0.053 = - 0.01

Edit: Why didn't you involve work in your first law equation? Isn't there some boundary work PdV also. That is why I get q = w + cp(500-475) = 7 + 25 = 32 kJ/kg

Last edited:
Albertov123 said:
From q - w = ΔH = cp (T3-T2)
I get q = 32 kJ/kg

sgen = Δs - q/T = 0,052 - 32 kJ / 600 K = 0.052 - 0.053 = - 0.01

Edit: Why didn't you involve work in your first law equation? Isn't there some boundary work PdV also. That is why I get q = w + cp(500-475) = 7 + 25 = 32 kJ/kg
It's q-w = ΔU, not ΔH. The constant pressure work w is included in ΔH=q=ΔU+w.

Try again. You almost have it. With this change, you will get your desired increase in entropy.

Likes albertov123
Oh, I see. That helped a lot. Thank you so much.

1. What is entropy generation?

Entropy generation is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a measure of the inefficiency of a process, as it represents the amount of energy that is lost or dissipated during the process.

2. How is entropy generation calculated?

The calculation of entropy generation involves using the first and second laws of thermodynamics, as well as knowledge of the system's temperature, pressure, and heat transfer. The exact equation for calculating entropy generation may vary depending on the specific system and conditions.

3. Why is entropy generation important?

Entropy generation is important because it provides insight into the efficiency and irreversibility of a process. In engineering and scientific fields, it is used to optimize processes and systems, as well as identify areas for improvement.

4. How does entropy generation change with pressure and temperature?

The amount of entropy generation is directly affected by changes in pressure and temperature. Generally, as pressure and temperature increase, the amount of entropy generation also increases, as there is a greater potential for energy to be lost or dissipated in the system.

5. Can entropy generation be reduced?

While entropy generation cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced through various methods such as improving insulation, using more efficient processes, and minimizing temperature and pressure differences within a system. However, these methods often require a trade-off with other factors such as cost and complexity.