Entropy with non constant specific heats

In summary, to solve for T2 in an adiabatic compression and heating process, we can use the equation T2 = T1*(V1/V2)^(gamma-1). From there, we can use the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics to solve for the remaining values of P2, P3, V3, W1-2, W2-3, Q2-3, and ∆1-2, using data from Table A7.1 in the text. It is important to note that the ratio of specific heats, gamma, and the specific heats at constant volume and pressure, C_v and C_p, are all necessary for these calculations.
Goatsenator

Homework Statement

Consider air inside a piston-cylinder device that is compressed adiabatically from p1 = 100kPa, T1 = 300 K, and V1 = 0.5 m^3 to V2 = 0.03 m^3 and then heated at constant pressure until T3 = 2000 K. The heat is exchanged with a heat reservoir at TH = 2000 K. Determine P2, T2, P3, V3, W1-2, W2-3, Q2-3, and ∆1−2, without assuming constant specific heats, instead using data given in Table A7.1 in the text.

The table just gives standard entropy.

Homework Equations

I really just need to find T2 and can get everything else from there. The equation the professor gave was

S0(T2) - S0(T1) = R*ln(V2/V1) + R*ln(T2/T1)

where S0 is the standard entropy. I derived this myself as well and understand where it comes from.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to substitute S0(T1) + R*ln(P2/P1) for S0(T2) but then it ends up cancelling T2 in the equation so I have no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. To solve for T2, we can use the following equation:

T2 = T1*(V1/V2)^(gamma-1)

where gamma is the ratio of specific heats, which can be found in Table A7.1 in the text. We can also use this equation to solve for P2:

P2 = P1*(V1/V2)^gamma

To find the remaining values, we can use the first law of thermodynamics: ∆U = Q - W. We know that the process is adiabatic, so Q1-2 = 0. Therefore, we can solve for W1-2 and ∆U1-2 using the following equations:

W1-2 = ∆U1-2 = C_v*(T2-T1)

where C_v is the specific heat at constant volume, which can also be found in Table A7.1. We can then use the first law of thermodynamics again to solve for Q2-3:

Q2-3 = ∆U2-3 + W2-3 = C_p*(T3-T2) + P2*(V3-V2)

where C_p is the specific heat at constant pressure, also found in Table A7.1. Finally, we can use the ideal gas law to solve for P3:

P3 = nRT3/V3

where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T3 and V3 are given in the problem. I hope this helps you solve the problem. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Entropy with non constant specific heats

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that indicates the amount of energy that is unavailable for doing work.

How is entropy related to non constant specific heats?

In systems where the specific heat is not constant, the change in entropy is calculated using the equation: ΔS = ∫(Cp/T)dT, where Cp is the specific heat at constant pressure and T is the temperature.

What is the formula for calculating entropy with non constant specific heats?

The formula for calculating entropy with non constant specific heats is ΔS = ∫(Cp/T)dT, where Cp is the specific heat at constant pressure and T is the temperature.

Why is it important to consider non constant specific heats when calculating entropy?

In real-world systems, the specific heat can vary with temperature and pressure. Ignoring this variation can lead to inaccurate calculations of entropy, which is an important factor in determining the direction and efficiency of energy transformations.

Can entropy be negative with non constant specific heats?

Yes, entropy can be negative with non constant specific heats. This occurs when the increase in temperature is accompanied by a decrease in specific heat, resulting in a negative value for ΔS. This indicates a decrease in disorder or randomness in the system.