Entropy of N particle system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the entropy of a system of particles in equilibrium at temperature T, where each particle can have energy levels of 0, epsilon, or 2 epsilon. The equations F=-\tau log(Z) and \sigma=-(\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial\tau})|_{V} are mentioned as possible solutions. The individual attempts at solving the problem are also mentioned, with a correction made in the last post about using the correct partition function. The question is posed whether the partition function used is applicable and any thoughts or suggestions are requested.
Phyisab****

Homework Statement

A system of particles is in equilibrium at temperature T. Each particle may have energy 0, epsilon, or 2 epsilon. Find the entropy of the system.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=-\tau log(Z)[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=-(\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial\tau})|_{V}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]

Z = 1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau})
[/tex]

[tex]F=-\tau log(1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau}))[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=-log(1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau}))-\tau\frac{[\epsilon\tau^{-2}exp(-\epsilon/\tau)+2\epsilon\tau^{-2}exp(-2\epsilon/\tau)]}{1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{\tau})+exp(\frac{-2\epsilon}{\tau})}[/tex]

Hows that look? I'm really rusty with my thermal physics so even though this is not very complicated, I just have no confidence. One thing I was worried about was my partition function. When is the function I used applicable, and when do I need to use

[tex]Z_{N}=\frac{Z^{N}_{1}}{N!}?[/tex]

As I type this I am becoming increasing doubtful that I used the right partition function. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is my question ill posed? Please if you read this say anything, say whatever you think even if you don't know.

Now I am feeling rather sure that all I need to do is replace my Z with Z^N and I have my answer. Any thoughts?

Anyone? Anything?

I just noticed a mistake in my first post, the second equation should be sigma=(partial F)/(partial tau). But if you can help me you probably knew that already...

Using Z = Z_1^N/N! , you should get the correct expression.

1. What is entropy in a N particle system?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In a N particle system, it refers to the number of ways the particles can be arranged while maintaining the same energy and volume.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In a N particle system, as the number of microstates (possible arrangements of particles) increases, so does the entropy.

3. Can entropy be negative in a N particle system?

No, entropy cannot be negative in a N particle system. This is because the number of microstates cannot decrease, and therefore the entropy cannot decrease either.

4. How does increasing the temperature affect the entropy of a N particle system?

As the temperature of a N particle system increases, the kinetic energy of the particles also increases. This leads to an increase in the number of microstates and therefore an increase in entropy.

5. How does the size of a N particle system affect its entropy?

The size of a N particle system does not directly affect its entropy. However, a larger system will have a higher number of microstates and therefore a higher entropy compared to a smaller system with the same number of particles.