Epsilon delta proof that x^4 goes to a^4 as x goes to a

In summary, an epsilon delta proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the existence of a limit and its specific value. It works by setting a small value for epsilon and finding a corresponding small value for delta, manipulating the function and setting constraints on delta to ensure the desired result. It is important because it provides a rigorous method for proving limits and is used in calculus and other areas of mathematics and science. Common mistakes include incorrect setting of epsilon, improper manipulation of the function, and not considering all possible values of delta. It is also important to note that an epsilon delta proof only shows the existence of a limit and its value, not the continuity of the function.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Determine the limit l for a given a and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ.

[itex]f(x)=x^{2}[/itex], arbitrary a.

Homework Equations

I will incorporate the triangle inequality in this proof.

The Attempt at a Solution

We want to be able to find a δ such that if 0<|x-a|<δ then |x^4-a^4|<ε. Working backwards we see that [itex]|x^{4}-a^{4}|=|x^{2}-a^{2}||x^{2}+a^{2}|=|x-a||x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\epsilon[/itex] so then [itex]|x-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|}[/itex]. Now set [itex]|x-a|<1[/itex]. Then from the triangle inequality we know that [itex]|x|-|a|\leq|x-a|<1[/itex] so [itex]|x|-|a|<1[/itex] and it follows that [itex]|x|<1+|a|[/itex]. Thus we have [itex]|x-a|\leq|x|+|a|<1+2|a|[/itex]. Note that [itex](|x|)^{2}=|x^{2}|[/itex] so [itex]|x^{2}|<(1+|a|)^{2}=1+2|a|+a^{2}[/itex]. Thus we have [itex]|x^{2}+a^{2}|<1+2|a|+a^{2}+|a^{2}|=1+2|a|+2a^{2}[/itex]. In conclusion, we have [itex]|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})[/itex] so then [itex]\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}[/itex]. Now for the proof.

Proof: Suppose we are given ε>0. Then choose δ=min(1,[itex]\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}[/itex]). Then [itex]0<|x-a|<\delta\Rightarrow|x-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})} \Rightarrow|x-a||x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\frac{\epsilon(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}\Rightarrow|x^{2}-a^{2}||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\epsilon\Rightarrow|x^{4}-a^{4}|<\epsilon[/itex]. This completes the proof.

Could someone take a look at this for me? I feel like something isn't right with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Determine the limit l for a given a and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ.

[itex]f(x)=x^{2}[/itex], arbitrary a.
That's a typo.

Should be [itex]f(x)=x^{4}[/itex] of course.

Homework Equations

I will incorporate the triangle inequality in this proof.

The Attempt at a Solution

We want to be able to find a δ such that if 0<|x-a|<δ then |x^4-a^4|<ε. Working backwards we see that [itex]|x^{4}-a^{4}|=|x^{2}-a^{2}||x^{2}+a^{2}|=|x-a||x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\epsilon[/itex] so then [itex]|x-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|}[/itex]. Now set [itex]|x-a|<1[/itex]. Then from the triangle inequality we know that [itex]|x|-|a|\leq|x-a|<1[/itex] so [itex]|x|-|a|<1[/itex] and it follows that [itex]|x|<1+|a|[/itex]. Thus we have [itex]|x-a|\leq|x|+|a|<1+2|a|[/itex]. Note that [itex](|x|)^{2}=|x^{2}|[/itex] so [itex]|x^{2}|<(1+|a|)^{2}=1+2|a|+a^{2}[/itex]. Thus we have [itex]|x^{2}+a^{2}|<1+2|a|+a^{2}+|a^{2}|=1+2|a|+2a^{2}[/itex]. In conclusion, we have [itex]|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})[/itex] so then [itex]\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}[/itex]. Now for the proof.

Proof: Suppose we are given ε>0. Then choose δ=min(1,[itex]\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}[/itex]). Then [itex]0<|x-a|<\delta\Rightarrow|x-a|<\frac{\epsilon}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})} \Rightarrow|x-a||x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\frac{\epsilon(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}{(1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})}\Rightarrow|x^{2}-a^{2}||x^{2}+a^{2}|<\epsilon\Rightarrow|x^{4}-a^{4}|<\epsilon[/itex]. This completes the proof.

Could someone take a look at this for me? I feel like something isn't right with it.
I suppose it depends who grades the proof.

You have done a thorough job explaining how you get δ from ε. But that's not part of your formal proof.

Personally, I like to see everything that's needed for the proof, in the proof.

So in the proof itself, I like to see you support your claim that [itex]|x+a||x^{2}+a^{2}|\le (1+2|a|)(1+2|a|+2a^{2})\ .[/itex]

Again, this is my personal preference.

Thank you for taking your time to look over my proof. I will edit the proof and include the claim in the proof itself.

1. What is an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that a limit exists and is equal to a specific value. It involves using two parameters, epsilon (ε) and delta (δ), to show that for any small value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding small value of delta such that the distance between the limit and the function is less than epsilon.

2. How does an epsilon delta proof work?

An epsilon delta proof works by first setting a small value for epsilon. Then, using the definition of a limit, the goal is to find a corresponding small value for delta such that if the distance between the limit and the function is less than epsilon, the limit is equal to the given value. This is done by manipulating the function and setting constraints on delta to ensure the desired result.

3. Why is an epsilon delta proof important?

An epsilon delta proof is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical method for proving the existence of a limit and its specific value. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many other areas of mathematics and science.

4. How is an epsilon delta proof used to show that x^4 goes to a^4 as x goes to a?

To show that x^4 goes to a^4 as x goes to a, we can use an epsilon delta proof by setting a small value for epsilon and finding a corresponding small value for delta. We can manipulate the function (x^4-a^4) to get it in the form of (x-a)(x^3+x^2a+xa^2+a^3), and then set constraints on delta to ensure that the distance between the limit (a^4) and the function is less than epsilon, thereby proving the desired result.

5. What are some common mistakes made in an epsilon delta proof?

Some common mistakes made in an epsilon delta proof include incorrectly setting the value of epsilon, not properly manipulating the function, and not considering all possible values of delta. It is also important to remember that an epsilon delta proof only shows that a limit exists and its specific value, not that the function is continuous at that point.