Equation Alternatives for Young's Modulus

In summary: L_0}{A}}_{\tilde{\varepsilon}}\cdot\underbrace{\frac{L_0}{A}}_{\varepsilon}}_{\text{true strain}}\underbrace{\frac{dL}{L}...\underbrace{\frac{dL}{L}}_{\tilde{\varepsilon}}\cdot\underbrace{\frac{dL}{L}}_{\varepsilon}}_{\text{engineering strain}}\underbrace{\frac{dF}{A}...\underbrace{\frac{dF}{A}}_{\tilde{\varepsilon}}\cdot\underbrace{\frac
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I will post below
Relevant Equations
There is no
I just found a definition to the Young modulus as:
1598322433307.png

Is this a plausible representation of Y? That is, i know the definition
1598322597229.png
, i don't think we can say this definition and the first definition is equal.

Attachments

• 1598317298882.png
    1598317298882.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 1598317412936.png
    1598317412936.png
    659 bytes · Views: 117
  • 1598322594077.png
    1598322594077.png
    537 bytes · Views: 114
Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: I will post below
Relevant Equations:: There is no

View attachment 268280
Is this a plausible representation of Y? That is, i know the definition View attachment 268282, i don't think we can say this definition and the first definition is equal.
The second looks invalid in that it should be ##\frac{dF}{A}=\frac{YdL}L##. That would make them identical.
Alternatively, maybe they mean ##\frac{\Delta F}{A}=\frac{Y\Delta L}L##, which is not exactly the same.

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex said:
The second looks invalid in that it should be ##\frac{dF}{A}=\frac{YdL}L##. That would make them identical.
Alternatively, maybe they mean ##\frac{\Delta F}{A}=\frac{Y\Delta L}L##, which is not exactly the same.

The simple definition of the Young's modulus, ##E##, for axial tension that I am familiar with is$$E = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon} = \frac{T}{A} \frac{L_0}{\Delta L} \implies \frac{T}{A} = \frac{E \Delta L}{L_0}$$where ##\Delta L = L - L_0##. Taking the differentials of both sides, holding ##A## constant, would give$$\frac{dT}{A} = \frac{E}{L_0} d(L - L_0) = \frac{EdL}{L_0}$$which is your first equation. So I think they were just being sloppy using a differential ##dL## when they should have used ##\Delta L## :smile:

etotheipi said:
The simple definition of the Young's modulus, ##E##, for axial tension that I am familiar with is$$E = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon} = \frac{T}{A} \frac{L_0}{\Delta L} \implies \frac{T}{A} = \frac{E \Delta L}{L_0}$$where ##\Delta L = L - L_0##. Taking the differentials of both sides, holding ##A## constant, would give$$\frac{dT}{A} = \frac{E}{L_0} d(L - L_0) = \frac{EdL}{L_0}$$which is your first equation. So I think they were just being sloppy using a differential ##dL## when they should have used ##\Delta L## :smile:
But the continuous and discrete forms are different in principle, no? It could be that Y varies somewhat with strain.

Likes etotheipi
You're probably right, I really don't know very much about this :wink:! To me it seems like the equations in the OP should be ##Y = \frac{L_0}{A} \frac{\partial F}{\partial L}## and ##\frac{F}{A} = \frac{E\Delta L}{L_0}##. I hadn't thought about having a variable Young's modulus. I'm tempted to tag @Chestermiller to see what he thinks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If u(x) is the displacement at material location x along a rod under axial loading F, in terms of Young's modulus, $$F=AY\frac{du}{d x}$$This applies if Y varies with x. If Y is a constant, so that the deformation is homogeneous and u is zero at x =0, then, at x = L, ##u(L)=\Delta L##, and the equation integrates to $$F=AY\frac{\Delta L}{L}$$

Likes etotheipi
LCSphysicist said:
1598374247764.png

I wondered, do you have a reference for this @LCSphysicist? I thought about it for a little longer but I couldn't make sense of it. But maybe context would help?

etotheipi said:
I wondered, do you have a reference for this @LCSphysicist? I thought about it for a little longer but I couldn't make sense of it. But maybe context would help?
Oh, yes i have :) i will post a example using it, if it helps:

Imagine a wire, stuck on both ends, in such way that it length remains constant, the initial tension on the wire is F. If we cooled the wire, how much increase the tension?

Ans:

We can suppose the tension is function of the temperature and length, so
F = f(T,L)

1598375847350.png

1598375869668.png
(1)
But we know that:

1598375914493.png

and
1598376200505.png

not only, we know too:
1598376219652.png

So
1598376251610.png

Now, returning to the differential equation (1)

1598376282385.png

would be the answer, if we suppose A, α and Y approximately constant.

At least to me, if Y satisfy the condition, it makes sense.

Reviewing now, maybe Y was adjust only to this type of question. Anyway, the doubt arise if we can generalize Y as
1598375914493.png
or not.

Attachments

• 1598376029277.png
    1598376029277.png
    515 bytes · Views: 120
Likes etotheipi
LCSphysicist said:
Oh, yes i have :) i will post a example using it, if it helps:

If you don't mind me asking, which textbook is this? Your example makes use of the fact in question but it would be interesting to see where it comes from. :smile:

etotheipi said:
If you don't mind me asking, which textbook is this? Your example makes use of the fact in question but it would be interesting to see where it comes from. :smile:
Finn's thermal physics :)
Read this book, i am really liking it, as he construct the things by a logic sequence.

Likes etotheipi
Okay, I think this is it. There are two different definitions of strain, true strain ##\tilde{\varepsilon}## defined by ##d\tilde{\varepsilon} = \frac{dL}{L} \implies \tilde{\varepsilon} = \ln{(1+\frac{\Delta L}{L})} = \ln{(1+\varepsilon)}##, and also the engineering strain, which is defined by the more familiar relation ##d\varepsilon = \frac{dL}{L_0} \implies \varepsilon = \frac{\Delta L}{L_0} = \frac{L-L_0}{L_0}##. The engineering strain is much more common, and is used in the definition of the Young modulus ##\sigma = Y\varepsilon##. But for infinitesimal strains, ##\tilde{\varepsilon} \approx \varepsilon## and the Young modulus is$$Y = \underbrace{\frac{L_0}{A} \left( \frac{\partial F}{\partial L} \right)_T}_{\text{w/ engineering strain}} \approx \underbrace{\frac{L}{A} \left( \frac{\partial F}{\partial L} \right)_T}_{\text{w/ true strain}}$$So I believe the equation quoted in Finn is valid as an approximation in the limit of small strains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes LCSphysicist
etotheipi said:
Okay, I think this is it. There are two different definitions of strain, true strain ##\tilde{\varepsilon}## defined by ##d\tilde{\varepsilon} = \frac{dL}{L} \implies \tilde{\varepsilon} = \ln{(1+\frac{\Delta L}{L})} = \ln{(1+\varepsilon)}##, and also the engineering strain, which is defined by the more familiar relation ##d\varepsilon = \frac{dL}{L_0} \implies \varepsilon = \frac{\Delta L}{L_0} = \frac{L-L_0}{L_0}##. The engineering strain is much more common, and is used in the definition of the Young modulus ##\sigma = Y\varepsilon##. But for infinitesimal strains, ##\tilde{\varepsilon} \approx \varepsilon## and the Young modulus is$$Y = \underbrace{\frac{L_0}{A} \left( \frac{\partial F}{\partial L} \right)_T}_{\text{w/ engineering strain}} \approx \underbrace{\frac{L}{A} \left( \frac{\partial F}{\partial L} \right)_T}_{\text{w/ true strain}}$$So I believe the equation quoted in Finn is valid as an approximation in the limit of small strains.
That's certainly true, since at large strains, Young's modulus is not constant for any strain measure, and does not apply in large 3D deformations.

Likes etotheipi
The difference between OP's two definitions is the difference between the tangent modulus and the secant modulus. The former is the slope of the tangent to the stress-strain curve at a given point; the latter is the slope of the line joining that point to the origin. That is, the former is the differential increase of stress with strain, the latter is total stress/total strain. The two are different if the stress-strain curve is non-linear. See diagram.
moduli.png

Likes etotheipi
mjc123 said:
The difference between OP's two definitions is the difference between the tangent modulus and the secant modulus
AS I wrote in post #2, that is possibly the difference in intent, but the second as written is not valid. Which modulus is intended depends on how one corrects it.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
AS I wrote in post #2, that is possibly the difference in intent, but the second as written is not valid. Which modulus is intended depends on how one corrects it.

Agreed. For that second equation, there are a few viable alternatives. Equation of differentials with the two types of strain, $$\frac{dF}{A} = \frac{Y dL}{L_0}$$ $$\frac{dF}{A} \approx \frac{Y dL}{L}$$ Equation of non-infinitesimals with two types of strain $$\frac{F}{A} = \frac{Y\Delta L}{L_0}$$ $$\frac{F}{A} \approx Y \ln{ \left( 1+\frac{\Delta L}{L_0} \right)}$$I don't know what was intended, but you're right that at the moment the second equation is incorrect.

1. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus or modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It describes the relationship between stress (force per unit area) and strain (deformation) in a material under tension or compression.

2. How is Young's modulus calculated?

Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain in a material. It is typically represented by the letter E and has the unit of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the significance of Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is an important property in material science and engineering as it helps to determine how much a material will deform under stress. It is used to compare the stiffness of different materials and can also be used to predict the behavior of a material under different loading conditions.

4. How does temperature affect Young's modulus?

Temperature can have a significant effect on Young's modulus. In general, as temperature increases, Young's modulus decreases. This is because as temperature increases, the atoms in a material vibrate more, making it easier for the material to deform under stress.

5. What are some common materials and their Young's moduli?

The Young's modulus of a material can vary greatly depending on its composition and structure. Some common values for Young's modulus include: steel - 200 GPa, aluminum - 70 GPa, rubber - 0.01 GPa, and wood - 10 GPa. However, these values can vary depending on the specific type of steel, aluminum, rubber, or wood being considered.