Equation of a plane through three points

In summary, the points C are (-0.2, y1, z1), (-0.13, y1, z1), and (-0.15, y1, z1). The distance from A to C is 0,2, and the distance from B to C is 0,15.
srn
edit: should probably be in precalc sorry about that

Homework Statement

I have three points, two known and one partially known, only the x coordinate (3D)

Point one (A): (-0,2; -0,2; -0,2)
Point two (B): (-0.13; -0.15; 0)
Point three (C): (-0,2; unknown; unknown)

I also know that the distance from A to C is 0,2 and that the distance from B to C is 0,15.

Question: what are the other two components of point C.

The Attempt at a Solution

As I see it, the lines going from A and from B with the above magnitudes and crossing each other, describe a circle that is perpendicular to AB. So far, there are infinitely many solutions. However, with the x coordinate known, I think that it brings the amount of solutions down to exactly two.

I've composed the vector AC and AB and their cross product. This should then be perpendicular to the plane and I've used that with the equation

a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) + c(z-z0) = 0

Where a, b and c are the components of AC X AB and x0, y0, z0 a random point which I took as A.

I then replaced the x with x = -0,2.

Then I took |AC| = 0,2 and |BC| = 0,15. I worked this out and set it equal to each other, then I got something in y and z, set one of them equal to the other and then filled it in in the above equation of the plane.

This didn't yield anything at all. Can someone please explain where I have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should just have C= (-0.2,y1,z1) and then find AC and BC in terms of y1 and z1.

Then use the fact that |AC|=0.2 and |BC|=0.15. You will get two equations in y1 and z1 which you can solve.

Ah, not so hard after all :(

j := (y+.2)^2+(z+.2)^2 = 0.04
k := 0.07^2+(y+.15)^2+z^2 = .02255;

> solve({j, k}, {z, y});

{y = -.2815230378, z = -0.01736924054}, {y = -0.4212402098e-1, z = -0.07721899475}

That should be it then? Does anyone know how to draw a plane through 3 points in maple? Can't find anything on google.

Last edited:

1. How do I find the equation of a plane through three points?

To find the equation of a plane through three points, you can use the formula Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant. You will need to use the coordinates of the three points to solve for these coefficients.

2. What is the normal vector of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. It is represented by the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0. The normal vector is important in determining the orientation of the plane and can be used to find the angle between two planes.

3. Can I use any three points to determine a plane?

No, you cannot use any three points to determine a unique plane. The three points must not be collinear, meaning they cannot all lie on the same line. If the points are collinear, there are infinite planes that can pass through them.

4. What if one of the three points is not given in Cartesian coordinates?

If one of the points is not given in Cartesian coordinates, you will need to convert it to Cartesian form before using it in the equation of a plane. This can be done by using the distance formula to find the coordinates of the point in terms of x, y, and z.

5. Can I use the equation of a plane to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the equation of a plane can be used in various real-world applications, such as in 3D geometry and physics. It can be used to find the distance between a point and a plane, determine the intersection of two planes, or model the orientation of a surface in space.