Equation of Parallel Plane Equidistant to a Point

In summary, to find the equation of the plane parallel to 2x-y+2z=4, with a given point P=(3,2,-1) equidistant from both planes, one approach is to find the normal vector of the given plane and use it to find the scalar projection of the vector between the point and a chosen point on the plane. This will give a negative value, indicating that the normal vector points to the other side of the plane. To find the equation of the parallel plane, use a new point on the plane, such as (0,-k,0), and use the same method to find the scalar projection. Solve for k to get the desired equation of the parallel plane.
pry_or

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane parallel to 2x - y + 2z = 4 if the point P = (3,2,-1) is equidistant from both planes.

Homework Equations

a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) + c(z-z0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the normal vector to the given plane first, as this is quite easy. [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/itex] = <2,-1,2>, which is also the normal vector for the plane I am finding since they are parallel.

After that, I found a point that is on the given plane. For simplicity, I picked Q = (2,0,0). I then found the equation of the vector from the given point and the point I found, which is [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] = <1,2,-1>. I used this vector and the normal vector to find the scalar projection of [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] along [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/itex]. This came out to be [itex]\frac{-2}{3}[/itex].

So, [itex]\frac{-2}{3}[/itex] is the distance from the point to both planes. This is where I got stuck.

On my first attempt, I tried to find a point that, when I used it to find the scalar projection again, gave me the same distance.

If the scalar projection is [itex]\frac{-2}{3}[/itex], that means that [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] = -2. So:

2a - b + 2c = -2

Now, I'm not sure if I can pick any point that makes that true and it gives me a valid equation. I assume that as long as the scalar projection is the same, and the normal vector is the same, the equation would be a valid, parallel plane?

I used the point (-1,0,0), which gives me the equation 2(x+1)- y + 2z = 0

I would like to know if this is correct. Since afterward, I looked at the work of my professor and he used a different method that I. Here's what he did.

He started out the same, by picking a point on the given plane and finding [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] and finding the scalar projection. After that, he used this equation:

point on parallel plane = (starting point) + distance<normal vector>

So he got...

(3,2,-1) - 2/3<2,-1,2> = (5/3, 8/3, -7/3)

He then used that point to write his equation. His method makes sense to me intuitively, and seems more "concrete" than my method. The problem is, I decided to calculate the scalar projection with his calculated point and I something 2 instead of -2/3. This would imply to me that the second plane is not equidistant to the point.

So what I would like to know here, which method is correct, if either? Was I wrong to assume that I should just guess a point and that point would work? Was his equation wrong? Are we both wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your professor should have used the unit-length normal vector when calculating where the point on the other plane is.

Oh yes, that makes sense. I was thinking that distance * normal vector would not give the proper distance, but I couldn't figure out why.

So is my method correct or incorrect?

And one last general question...is it correct to have a negative scalar projection, or should it be given as positive? Or does it not matter (so -2/3 and 2/3 is the same thing)?

With the vectors you used, the scalar projection is -2/3. I wouldn't say that -2/3 is the distance of the point from the plane, however, since distances are positive quantities.

I don't think your answer is correct. I got 2x-y+2z=0 for the other plane. (But I may have messed up as well.)

Here's another approach you might try. You have a unit normal ##\hat n = \frac 1 3\langle 2,-1,2\rangle##, and using that in your formula gave ##-\frac 2 3##. This just means your normal points to the other side of the plane than where the given point is.

You know the plane you seek must have the form ##2x-y+2z=k##. It will be on the other side of the given point so the same normal will give a positive scalar projection. An easy point on that plane is ##(0,-k,0)##. So do the same work and choose ##k## to get ##\frac 2 3##. I think you will discover Vela's answer is correct.

1. What is the equation of a parallel plane equidistant to a point?

The equation of a parallel plane equidistant to a point is given by Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, respectively. The value of D is the distance from the origin to the plane.

2. How do you determine the distance from a point to a parallel plane?

The distance from a point to a parallel plane can be determined by taking the absolute value of the dot product of the vector from the point to any point on the plane and the normal vector of the plane. This can be represented by the formula: d = |(P - P0) · n|, where P is the point, P0 is any point on the plane, and n is the normal vector of the plane.

3. Can the equation of a parallel plane be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a parallel plane can also be written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0 or in the form of (x - x0)/a = (y - y0)/b = (z - z0)/c, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane and a, b, and c are the direction ratios of the plane.

4. What is the significance of a parallel plane equidistant to a point?

A parallel plane equidistant to a point is significant because it helps in determining the shortest distance from the point to the plane, which can be useful in various real-world applications such as in navigation, construction, and engineering.

5. Can a parallel plane be equidistant to more than one point?

Yes, a parallel plane can be equidistant to more than one point. In fact, any plane that is parallel to a given plane and equidistant to the same point is considered a parallel plane equidistant to that point.