Equilibria analysis for Biomath Problem

In summary, the equilibria (0,0) and (\frac{1+a}{ab-1},\frac{1+b}{ab-1}) are asymptotically stable. Conditions on parameters a,b so that the equilibria are locally asymptotically stable must be met.
end3r7

Homework Statement

Find all the positive equilibria for the system of the difference equations
[tex]x(t+1) = \frac{ax(t)y(t)}{1+x(t)};

y(t+1) = \frac{bx(t)y(t)}{1+y(t)}[/tex]
a, b > 0.
Then determine conditions on parameters so the equilibriums are locally asymptotically stable.

Homework Equations

An equilibrium point will have corresponding eigenvalues < 1 iff [tex]|Trace(J)| < 1 + det(J) < 2[/tex],
where J is the Jacobian matrix of the system evaluated at the equilibrium point.
In this case [tex]J = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{ay(t)}{1+x(t)} - \frac{ax(t)y(t)}{(1+x(t))^2} & \frac{ax(t)}{1+x(t)}\\
\frac{by(t)}{1+y(t)} & \frac{bx(t)}{1+y(t)} - \frac{bx(t)y(t)}{(1+y(t))^2}
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the following equilibria
(0,0) and [tex](\frac{1+a}{ab-1},\frac{1+b}{ab-1}); ab > 1[/tex]
The Jacobian Matrix evaluated at (0,0) gives me a zero matrix. So that means the trivial solution is always stable for any choice of parameters a,b, right? Or do I have to look at H.O.T.?

The Jacobian matrix for the second point is:
[tex]J = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{ab-1}{ab+a} & \frac{1+a}{1+b}\\
\frac{1+b}{1+a} & \frac{ab-1}{ab+b}
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

or, if I let x and y denote the equilibrium points

[tex]J = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{ay} & \frac{x}{y}\\
\frac{y}{x} & \frac{1}{bx}
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

And since the trace is always positive, we have the following requirements
[tex]ax + by < 1 < 2aybx[/tex]
Or [tex](ab)(xy) > \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
and [tex]ay + bx < 1[/tex]

Does that make any sense?
If we substitute x and y back in though, we get nonsense (something like, pos number < -1).

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about the confusion fellas, first time using latex in a long time.
Any questions about my work, I'll be gladly to answer. And if possible, don't tell me the answer, but rather around where my thinking goes wrong.
Thanks in advance,

Does the zero matrix mean that I have to consider the nonlinear terms of the Jacobian? Cuz that would suck =P

end3r7 said:
Does the zero matrix mean that I have to consider the nonlinear terms of the Jacobian? Cuz that would suck =P

Oops, I'm thinking Differential Equations, where the nonhyperbolic/stationary case is when the Jacobian Matrix is the zero Matrix. For difference, I would have to consider H.O.T. if the Jacobian was the identity, which it clearly isn't.
So I guess (0,0) is asymptotically stable, which makes sense if you look a the equations I guess. For x, y small it should converge.

Am I right?

What is the formal definition of asymptotically stable?

Well, locally asymptotically stability implies that it's both stable and attracting.

That is, given a certain distance from equilibrium point, it will not ever exceed that distance (stable), and will eventually converge to the equilibrium (attracting).

For the vector function X(t+1) = F(X(t)), where X(t) is a vector depending on x,y, whatever...
An equilibrium T is locally stable if for any E > 0 there exists D > 0 such that if |X(0) - T| < D, then |X(t) - T| < E
It's attracting if lim X(t) = T.

Can you show formally that either of your equilibria satisfy the definition?

EnumaElish said:
Can you show formally that either of your equilibria satisfy the definition?

Yes. But it really doens't matter, I know I"m supposed to use it, because that's what the book tells me. =P But yea, I can show it does.

Anyway, the identity that's giving me problems is the following

[tex]ay + bx < 1[/tex]

which is equivalent to

a + 2ab + b < ab - 1
or a + ab + b + 1 < 0, which is impossible since a,b>0

1. What is equilibria analysis for Biomath Problem?

Equilibria analysis for Biomath Problem is a mathematical approach used to study the behavior of biological systems that are in a state of equilibrium. It involves analyzing the interactions between the different components of a system and determining the conditions under which the system will remain stable.

2. Why is equilibria analysis important in Biomath Problem?

Equilibria analysis is important in Biomath Problem because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of complex biological systems and make predictions about their stability. This information can be used to develop strategies for managing diseases, designing drugs, and optimizing biological processes.

3. What are the different types of equilibria in Biomath Problem?

There are two main types of equilibria in Biomath Problem: steady-state and dynamic. Steady-state equilibria occur when the system reaches a stable state and remains there over time. Dynamic equilibria, on the other hand, involve continuous changes and fluctuations in the system, but the overall state remains stable.

4. How is equilibria analysis performed for Biomath Problem?

Equilibria analysis for Biomath Problem involves using mathematical models, such as differential equations, to describe the behavior of the system. These models are then solved using various techniques, such as numerical simulations, to determine the equilibrium points and their stability.

5. What are some real-world applications of equilibria analysis in Biomath Problem?

Equilibria analysis has a wide range of applications in the field of Biomath Problem. It is used to study the stability of ecosystems, population dynamics, biochemical reactions, and neural networks. It is also used in the development of new drugs and treatment strategies for diseases such as cancer and diabetes.