Equilibrium with the string in the center exactly horizontal

In summary, the conversation revolves around providing homework help for a physics problem. The problem involves a piece of string and applying equilibrium conditions for it. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including using 3 equations and 3 unknowns, 4 equations and 4 unknowns, and applying the moment equation. It is concluded that all approaches are equivalent and one should show their work to receive more help.
Mcmenhweilleisi
Homework Statement
Find
Tension T1
Tension T2
Tension T3
Relevant Equations
Obtain on the left weigs 40N and on the right 50N
1624192119299719050706892310950.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A few things to get you started:

Consider the piece of string in the middle and apply the equilibrium conditions for it. So it will be
$$\sum F_x=0$$$$\sum F_y=0$$ $$\sum M=0$$
So you will have 3 equations and 3 unknowns (##T_1,T_{3x} , T_{3y}##. You can find angle by ##\tan\theta=\frac{T_{3x}}{T_{3y}}##.

I think that ##T_2## will be equal to ##T_{3x}## or (##T_{1x}## ) not very sure about this.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t you just sum the forces on each side of the second string. 4 eqs and 4 unknowns (T1, T2, T3, θ). I have no idea what a moment means for a string

caz said:
Shouldn’t you just sum the forces on each side of the second string. 4 eqs and 4 unknowns (T1, T2, T3, θ). I have no idea what a moment means for a string
Actually, the 4 equations are decoupled. One can find T1 and T2 from the FBD of the knot on the left and then find the rest from the FBD of the knot on the right.

@Mcmenhweilleisi : Please show us your work to get more help.

caz said:
Well you apply the moment equation as the string was some sort of rigid body (since it is taut).

I think the two ways are equivalent, because the way I see the moment equation it is essentially a force balance equation e.g $$T_{3y}l-50l=0$$ where l the length of the second string.

Delta2 said:
I think the two ways are equivalent
Quite so.
We have one set of forces acting at one knot, and another set at the other knot.
Writing that the resultant of one set has no moment about the other knot is the same as writing that that resultant has no component normal to the string.

Likes Delta2

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance where all forces acting on an object are equal and opposite, resulting in no net change in the object's position or motion.

How does the string affect equilibrium?

The string in the center being exactly horizontal means that the forces acting on the object are balanced in both the vertical and horizontal directions. This allows the object to remain in a state of equilibrium.

What factors can affect equilibrium with the string in the center exactly horizontal?

The weight and position of the object, as well as the tension and angle of the string, can all affect the equilibrium of the object with the string in the center exactly horizontal.

What happens if the string is not exactly horizontal?

If the string is not exactly horizontal, the forces acting on the object will not be balanced and the object may experience a change in position or motion. This will result in the object being out of equilibrium.

How can equilibrium with the string in the center exactly horizontal be used in real-life situations?

Equilibrium with the string in the center exactly horizontal is commonly used in physics experiments and demonstrations, such as the famous "tablecloth trick" where a tablecloth is quickly pulled out from under a set of dishes without disturbing them. It is also important in engineering and architecture to ensure the stability and balance of structures.