Equivalence classes confusions

In summary, the conversation discusses the conclusion that ##[0] \equiv [2] \equiv [4] \dots \equiv[2n] = \{2, 4, 6, 8, \dots \}## and ##[1]\equiv [3] \equiv [5] \dots \equiv[2n + 1] = \{1, 3, 5, 7, \dots \}##, which the expert agrees with. However, there are some unclear points, such as the set b belongs to and the definition of set A. It is clarified that b also belongs to N, and A is the given set in the question.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Confusions about finding equivalence classes for the set of natural numbers corresponding to equivalence relation a+b is even.
Relevant Equations
N/A
lfzunL4TroyNQjW7D2rgF7burAiNtB1qA4CjuaIlYZFzrA4lH1.png

95V4wclF2PHPnWVS2t2DgI4PljlJiXtYG-A9JN8cebzDyPw5Tm.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your conclusion that ##[0] \equiv [2] \equiv [4] \dots \equiv[2n] = \{2, 4, 6, 8, \dots \}## looks OK to me, and similar for ##[1]\equiv [3] \equiv [5] \dots \equiv[2n + 1] = \{1, 3, 5, 7, \dots \}##.

There are several things in what you wrote that are unclear, though.
##R = \{(a, b) : (a + b) \text{ is even} \}##
##a \in N##, but what set does b belong to?

##[a] = \{x | x \in A \land (a, x) \in R \}##
What is set A? You haven't defined it, so there's no way to determine whether an element x belongs to A or not.

Mark44 said:
Your conclusion that ##[0] \equiv [2] \equiv [4] \dots \equiv[2n] = \{2, 4, 6, 8, \dots \}## looks OK to me, and similar for ##[1]\equiv [3] \equiv [5] \dots \equiv[2n + 1] = \{1, 3, 5, 7, \dots \}##.

There are several things in what you wrote that are unclear, though.

Mark44 said:
##a \in N##, but what set does b belong to?
I thought ##R=\left\{(a,b):a+b~~ is ~~even\right\} ##
automatically means ##(a,b) \in N## If not yes b also belongs to N.(it is not given in question though).
Mark44 said:
What is set A? You haven't defined it, so there's no way to determine whether an element x belongs to A or not.
That part is definition part. My bad I put there (thought it would be useful but turned out opposite). Here A=N in my question. It is the given set.

1. What are equivalence classes confusions?

Equivalence classes confusions refer to a common issue in scientific research where different groups or categories are mistakenly considered to be equivalent, leading to incorrect conclusions or interpretations.

2. How do equivalence classes confusions occur?

Equivalence classes confusions can occur when researchers fail to properly define and distinguish between different groups or categories in their study, leading to incorrect assumptions about their similarities or differences.

3. What are the consequences of equivalence classes confusions?

The consequences of equivalence classes confusions can be significant, as they can lead to incorrect conclusions, biased results, and a waste of time and resources in research efforts.

4. How can equivalence classes confusions be avoided?

To avoid equivalence classes confusions, researchers should thoroughly define and differentiate between groups or categories in their study, and use appropriate statistical methods to analyze and compare them.

5. Can equivalence classes confusions be corrected?

In some cases, equivalence classes confusions can be corrected by re-analyzing data with a more accurate understanding of the different groups or categories involved. However, prevention is always the best approach in scientific research.