Equivalent Capacitance of capacitors

In summary, the equivalent capacitance of the capacitors shown in the figure can be calculated by combining serial and parallel capacitances. The resulting equation, Ceq = 9.26uF = Cseries + Cparallel, can be solved by first combining the serial pair 12.0 and 8.35 and then carrying the unknown capacitance, C, as a variable throughout the simplification process. The final step will be to solve for C.
Ballin27

Homework Statement

The equivalent capacitance of the capacitors shown in the figure is 9.26 uF

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1122585/1/Walker.21.58.jpg

Homework Equations

Cseries = 1/Cs = 1/c1 + 1/c2 + ...
Cparallel = Cp = C1 + C2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ceq = 9.26uF = Cseries + Cparallel

I am confused as to what I should do with the 12.0uF capacitor and the unknown capacitor. I assume that the 7.22, 4.25, and 8.35 are all in parallel?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ballin27 said:
I am confused as to what I should do with the 12.0uF capacitor and the unknown capacitor. I assume that the 7.22, 4.25, and 8.35 are all in parallel?

No, those capacitors are not in parallel; for capacitors to be in parallel both of their terminal leads need to be directly connected.

You will have to work through the circuit in a series of steps, combining serial and parallel capacitances as they arise. To start off, combine the serial pair 12.0 and 8.35. You'll have to carry the unknown capacitance, C, as a variable as the simplification process incorporates it. Eventually you'll have to solve for it.

1. What is the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series can be calculated by adding the reciprocals of each individual capacitance and then taking the reciprocal of that sum. In other words, Ceq = 1 / (1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ...).

2. How do you calculate the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel can be calculated by simply adding the individual capacitances together. In other words, Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... .

3. Can the equivalent capacitance of capacitors be negative?

No, the equivalent capacitance of capacitors cannot be negative. Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge, and it is always a positive value.

4. What happens to the equivalent capacitance if one of the capacitors in a series circuit is removed?

If one of the capacitors in a series circuit is removed, the equivalent capacitance will decrease. This is because the removed capacitor's contribution to the overall capacitance is no longer included in the calculation.

5. How does the distance between capacitors affect the equivalent capacitance in a parallel circuit?

The distance between capacitors in a parallel circuit does not affect the equivalent capacitance. The equivalent capacitance is only dependent on the individual capacitances, not their physical arrangement.