Equivalent Inductance: Redrawing Circuits and Solving for Leq

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for redrawing a circuit with a switch and inductors in parallel and series. The participants also consider how to simplify the circuit for part B, ultimately agreeing on a method involving combining the inductors and rearranging the circuit.
RoKr93

Homework Statement

2013-06-30154521_zps69c24c59.jpg

Homework Equations

Leq = L1 + L2 + ... + Ln (series)

Leq = 1/((1/L1) + (1/L2) + ... + (1/Ln)) (parallel)

The Attempt at a Solution

2013-06-30154553_zps12231bfe.jpg

For part A, I redrew the circuit (above), taking into account that the switch was open, but I'm not entirely certain I did it right. If that is correct, then it would appear that for part B, a redrawn circuit would be the same except for one more parallel branch with nothing on it (representing the closed switch), which would cause a short circuit. This doesn't seem right. Did I redraw the circuit incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did fine for part A.

Note that the two sets of 12H and 24H inductors remain parallel pairs regardless of the switch position, so you might as well replace them with their equivalents right away.

Now, for part B, when the switch closes it ties the top rail to the bottom rail, making them all one node. So you can "fold" the circuit about the horizontal mid-line bringing the bottom rail up to the top and merging the connections along the resulting single rail. That should put some more inductors in parallel...

I make it 7L for part (a), also. For (b), why don't you redraw it showing 4 inductors, two of them being 8L, and go from there? Simplify it in small, easily-manageable, absolutely-irrefutable steps and you can't go wrong! :smile:

2013-06-30180901_zpsf01e5142.jpg

It's...the same thing? Combining the 12L and 24L inductors definitely helped clear up my mental picture. But am I correct in assuming that since those 3 branches are parallel, I can swing the empty one into the middle like I did?

Right.

Related to Equivalent Inductance: Redrawing Circuits and Solving for Leq

What is the "Equivalent Inductance Problem"?

The "Equivalent Inductance Problem" is a concept in electrical engineering that deals with finding the overall inductance of a circuit containing multiple inductors. It involves finding the equivalent inductance of the circuit by combining all the individual inductances into one single inductor.

Why is the Equivalent Inductance Problem important?

The Equivalent Inductance Problem is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze them more easily. By finding the equivalent inductance, we can determine the behavior of the circuit as a whole without having to consider each individual inductor separately.

What factors affect the equivalent inductance of a circuit?

The equivalent inductance of a circuit is affected by the number and arrangement of inductors in the circuit. If inductors are connected in series, their equivalent inductance is the sum of their individual inductances. If inductors are connected in parallel, their equivalent inductance is calculated using a formula that takes into account their individual inductances.

How do you calculate the equivalent inductance of a series circuit?

To calculate the equivalent inductance of a series circuit, simply add the individual inductances together. This is because in a series circuit, the current passing through each inductor is the same, so the magnetic fields created by each inductor add up to produce an overall magnetic field with a larger inductance.

How do you calculate the equivalent inductance of a parallel circuit?

To calculate the equivalent inductance of a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Leq = 1/L1 + 1/L2 + 1/L3... where Leq is the equivalent inductance and L1, L2, L3... are the individual inductances. This formula takes into account the fact that in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each inductor is the same, so the magnetic fields created by each inductor must be combined in a different way to produce an overall magnetic field with a larger inductance.