Equivalent of Irodov for Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses a need for Chemistry problem books similar to Irodov's problem book for Physics. The original speaker is looking for books that cover all areas of Chemistry and asks for recommendations. The conversation also mentions the popularity of Irodov's book in Russia and other countries, as well as the possibility of an English-translated version. Other members of the conversation suggest famous books for Chemistry in other countries and provide links for further resources.
etotheipi
I need to brush up on some Chemistry over Summer, and I wondered if anyone knew of some problem books pitched at a similar level to Irodov's problem book for Physics, or things like IChO questions. Preferably it would include all of physical, inorganic and organic, to some degree. I get various hits on google (like this one) but it's hard to tell what's good and what's not, so I thought I'd ask here! Thanks.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
I could not imagine that Irodov's book is known outside Russia

Likes dextercioby, PhDeezNutz and etotheipi
wrobel said:

It probably isn't too well known, but there is an English-translated version (Yuri Atanov). I'm not sure how many other languages are available, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
wrobel said:

Only because Russian professors here in the U.S. pull test questions from them.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
PhDeezNutz said:
Only because Russian professors here in the U.S. pull test questions from them.
yes and these tests do not look trivia for students

Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and PhDeezNutz
wrobel said:
In Brazil Irodov and Saraeva, Landau are really famous books.
The mir moscou is famous.

Likes etotheipi
probably too late, but have a look at mirtitles.

Likes etotheipi
archaic said:
probably too late, but have a look at mirtitles.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It's never too late for suggestions! :smile:

Likes archaic

1. What is the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry?

The "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry refers to a book that is similar in difficulty and level of challenge to the popular physics textbook "Problems in General Physics" by I.E. Irodov. It is often sought after by students looking for additional practice and challenging problems in chemistry.

2. Is there a specific book that is considered the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry?

There is no one specific book that is universally considered the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry. However, there are several books that are often recommended by teachers and students, such as "Problems in Physical Chemistry" by Narendra Awasthi, "Problems in Inorganic Chemistry" by V.K. Jaiswal, and "Problems in Organic Chemistry" by M.S. Chouhan.

3. Are there any online resources that can serve as the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry?

Yes, there are many online resources that offer practice problems and challenging questions in chemistry. Some popular options include Khan Academy, ChemCollective, and ChemTeam. These resources are often free and accessible to anyone with an internet connection.

4. How can I use the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry to improve my understanding of the subject?

The "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry can be used as a supplement to your regular coursework. By solving challenging problems and practicing difficult concepts, you can strengthen your understanding of chemistry and improve your problem-solving skills. It is important to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.

5. Is it necessary to use the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry to excel in the subject?

No, it is not necessary to use the "Equivalent of Irodov" for Chemistry to excel in the subject. However, it can be a helpful tool for students who are looking for additional practice and challenging problems. Ultimately, success in chemistry depends on a combination of hard work, effective study habits, and seeking help when needed.