Error Analysis of wall thickness

In summary, the internal and external diameter of a hollow cylinder are measured with the help of a vernier calipers. Their values are (3.87 ± 0.01) cm and (4.23 ± 0.01) cm respectively. The thickness of the wall of the cylinder is ?
Nikhil Rajagopalan

Homework Statement

The internal and external diameter of a hollow cylinder are measured with the help of a vernier calipers. Their values are (3.87 ± 0.01) cm and (4.23 ± 0.01) cm respectively. The thickness of the wall of the cylinder is ?

Homework Equations

Thickness of cylinder wall= 1/2 (Outer Diameter - Inner Diameter)
t = 1/2 (Do - Di)

The Attempt at a Solution

for value of t,

t = 1/2 (Do - Di)
t = 1/2(4.23 - 3.87)
t = 1/2(0.36)
t = 0.18

for finding the error in t,
by differentiating on both sides,

Δt = 1/2 (ΔDo - ΔDi)
Δt = 1/2 (0.01 + 0.01)
Δt = 0.01

thickness t ± Δt = 0.18 ± 0.01

most sources show the answer as 0.18 ± 0.02. Kindly help me to figure out the mistake that i made in calculating the error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikhil Rajagopalan said:
most sources show the answer as 0.18 ± 0.02
Sources you regard as reliable?
I agree with your answer.
Many would take a statistical approach. This allows that the two errors will often cancel out somewhat, and rarely be at opposite extremes. So they would divide the error by √2. But when you need to be sure that engineering tolerances are met, the simple method you used is appropriate.

Likes Jamison Lahman and berkeman
The formula for finding error in the case of ##t=au+bv## where a and b are constants is:
$$\sigma_t = \sqrt{(a\sigma_u)^2+(b\sigma_v)^2}$$
since a and b both equal 1/2 and both ##\sigma_u## and ##\sigma_v## equal 0.01, this nicely simplifies to:
$$\sigma_t = \sqrt{2(1/2(0.01))^2} = \frac{0.01}{\sqrt{2}}$$
So I would agree with @haruspex

Likes berkeman
Jamison Lahman said:
So I would agree with @haruspex
As I wrote, the approach should depend on the purpose. In manufacturing, the engineer sets tolerances for each component. Each machinist works to those specifications. If the resulting components don't fit the engineer is in trouble.

haruspex said:
As I wrote, the approach should depend on the purpose. In manufacturing, the engineer sets tolerances for each component. Each machinist works to those specifications. If the resulting components don't fit the engineer is in trouble.
True, but if you'd like to take the statistical approach as you suggested many would in your first post, that's the rationale behind the root 2. The equation is directly out of Bevington and Robinson (2003).

1. What is error analysis of wall thickness?

Error analysis of wall thickness is a method used to determine the accuracy and precision of measurements taken for a given wall thickness. It involves analyzing and quantifying the sources of error in the measurement process, such as instrument error, human error, and environmental factors.

2. Why is error analysis important in measuring wall thickness?

Error analysis is important in measuring wall thickness because it allows us to identify and correct any sources of error that may affect the accuracy of our measurements. This ensures that the measured wall thickness values are reliable and can be used for further analysis or decision-making.

3. How is error analysis of wall thickness performed?

Error analysis of wall thickness is typically performed by comparing the measured values to a known reference value, such as a standard or theoretical value. The difference between the measured and reference values is then used to calculate the error and determine its source.

4. What are some common sources of error in wall thickness measurements?

Some common sources of error in wall thickness measurements include instrument error, such as improper calibration or malfunction, human error, such as incorrect measurement technique or reading, and environmental factors, such as temperature or vibration.

5. How can error analysis of wall thickness be used to improve measurement accuracy?

By identifying and quantifying the sources of error in wall thickness measurements, error analysis can help to improve measurement accuracy by allowing for the correction of these errors. For example, if human error is found to be a significant source of error, additional training or use of more precise instruments can be implemented to reduce this error.