ESD compliance for FR4 G10 material

In summary: Hi...G11 meet the ESD property but the price is higher than G10. Do you have any recommendation for FR4 antistatic coating or add in that permenantly change the G10 property to antistatic?ESD is a problem powered or un-powered. You still damage the affected component even if you...Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to consult with a professional ESD consultant before finalizing my purchase. Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to consult with a professional ESD consultant before finalizing my purchase.
Priss80
Good day. I am facing a case where most of the wave pallet top catch using FR4 G10 material tested not compliance to ESD. Can anyone help to confirm whether the G10 material is definitely not ESD? Can you share the product specification for the material with the surface resistance value?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Priss80 said:
Good day. I am facing a case where most of the wave pallet top catch using FR4 G10 material tested not compliance to ESD. Can anyone help to confirm whether the G10 material is definitely not ESD? Can you share the product specification for the material with the surface resistance value?

Thanks.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post links to the standards involved, and links to what the G10 variant of FR4 involves? FR4 fiberglass is non-conductive, so unless it has some other materials mixed into it, I don't see how it could be "ESD compliant" on its own. But, although I'm very familiar with ESD standards like EN 61000-4-2, I may not be familiar with whatever standard you are referring to.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post links to the standards involved, and links to what the G10 variant of FR4 involves? FR4 fiberglass is non-conductive, so unless it has some other materials mixed into it, I don't see how it could be "ESD compliant" on its own. But, although I'm very familiar with ESD standards like EN 61000-4-2, I may not be familiar with whatever standard you are referring to.

Good day to you. I am referring to ANSI/ESD S20.20-2014, 8.3.1 Insulators (as per attachment). The technician measured the G10 of top catch at wave pallet using field meter, the result is >2000 volts.
As you mention the FR4 is non-conductive, i am curious to know the material is dissipative/ antistatic/ insulative? Therefore, i want to find out the surface resistance value for the material.
My final purpose is to find out whether we have selected wrong material for wave pallet or the material was degraded.

Priss80 said:
Good day to you. I am referring to ANSI/ESD S20.20-2014, 8.3.1 Insulators (as per attachment). The technician measured the G10 of top catch at wave pallet using field meter, the result is >2000 volts.
As you mention the FR4 is non-conductive, i am curious to know the material is dissipative/ antistatic/ insulative? Therefore, i want to find out the surface resistance value for the material.
My final purpose is to find out whether we have selected wrong material for wave pallet or the material was degraded.
Thanks for the link; I skimmed it but still do not understand your question (sorry).

What's a "wave pallet"?

Since FR4 is non-conductive, why do you want to use if for some component in ESD control? ESD dissipative materials that I'm familiar with usually have a resistivity of about 100kOhm to 1MOhm per square.

FR4 is the stuff used to make printed circuit boards so it's going to be quite a good insulator. No specific anti static properties.

Google sugests Durostone or Ricocell might be better? Looks like you can also get FR4 with antistatic coatings/constituents.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Thanks for the link; I skimmed it but still do not understand your question (sorry).

What's a "wave pallet"?

Since FR4 is non-conductive, why do you want to use if for some component in ESD control? ESD dissipative materials that I'm familiar with usually have a resistivity of about 100kOhm to 1MOhm per square.
Hi.. wave pallet is a fixture to hold the PCBA when the assembly going through the wave soldering process. The material was common for industrial use so the company is using it and now found the issue. Thank you.

Priss80 said:
Hi.. wave pallet is a fixture to hold the PCBA when the assembly going through the wave soldering process. The material was common for industrial use so the company is using it and now found the issue. Thank you.
When a PCBA is going through wave solder, it is unpowered, so the risk of EOS is very low. Who is your expert consultant on this project? It seems like somebody is dropping the ball, or not willing to actually consult with a professional expert in the process/field.

CWatters said:
FR4 is the stuff used to make printed circuit boards so it's going to be quite a good insulator. No specific anti static properties.

Google sugests Durostone or Ricocell might be better? Looks like you can also get FR4 with antistatic coatings/constituents.
Hi...G11 meet the ESD property but the price is higher than G10. Do you have any recommendation for FR4 antistatic coating or add in that permenantly change the G10 property to antistatic?

Sorry I don't.

berkeman said:
When a PCBA is going through wave solder, it is unpowered, so the risk of EOS is very low.

ESD is a problem powered or un-powered. You still damage the affected component even if you don't have any secondary damage due to malfunction or latch-up.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
ESD is a problem powered or un-powered. You still damage the affected component even if you don't have any secondary damage due to malfunction or latch-up.
I guess this is true for moderate energy EOS sources (like static discharges). Most of the circuitry I work with is not very sensitive to unpowered EOS, but it does sometimes happen.

Someone at work decided it would be a good idea to place the 2N7000 fets in a plastic drawer without any anti static protection. They died from sliding in the bottom of the drawer when it was opened and closed. It was unlikely there was any "ZAP" going on except maybe across the gate oxide.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Someone at work decided it would be a good idea to place the 2N7000 fets in a plastic drawer without any anti static protection. They died from sliding in the bottom of the drawer when it was opened and closed. It was unlikely there was any "ZAP" going on except maybe across the gate oxide.
Oh yikes! Yeah, plastic bad...

What is ESD compliance for FR4 G10 material?

ESD compliance refers to a material's ability to resist electrostatic discharge (ESD) or the sudden flow of electricity between two electrically charged objects. FR4 G10 is a type of fiberglass-reinforced epoxy laminate that is commonly used in electronic circuit boards and is required to meet certain ESD compliance standards to prevent damage to electronic components.

Why is ESD compliance important for FR4 G10 material?

ESD compliance is important for FR4 G10 material because electronic components are highly sensitive to static electricity. If a material is not ESD compliant, it can generate and conduct static electricity, which can damage or degrade electronic components, leading to malfunctions or failures.

How is ESD compliance measured for FR4 G10 material?

ESD compliance is typically measured using a surface resistance or volume resistance test. These tests measure the ability of a material to prevent or inhibit the flow of electricity. FR4 G10 material is considered ESD compliant if it has a surface resistance of at least 10^5 ohms or a volume resistance of at least 10^6 ohms.

What are some common methods for achieving ESD compliance for FR4 G10 material?

Some common methods for achieving ESD compliance for FR4 G10 material include adding conductive fillers or coatings to the material, using grounding techniques, and implementing ESD-safe handling procedures. Additionally, using ESD compliant packaging and storage materials can also help prevent ESD damage to FR4 G10 material.

Are there any regulations or standards for ESD compliance of FR4 G10 material?

Yes, there are several regulations and standards that govern ESD compliance for FR4 G10 material. These include the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 61340-5-1 standard, which provides guidelines for ESD control in manufacturing processes, and the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC) JESD625-A standard, which specifies requirements for ESD control of electronic devices and assemblies.