Essential Role of Blood Flow in Cooling the Human Body: Heat Transfer Problem

In summary, the human body must maintain its core temperature around 37°C, and during moderate exercise, an 80 kg man can metabolize 300 kcal/h of food energy, do 60 kcal/h of mechanical work, and put out the remaining 240 kcal/h of energy by heat. Blood flow is essential for cooling the body, as living tissue without blood flow is a good thermal insulator. Using the given information, the rate of energy conduction through the tissue layer under the man's skin is calculated to be 30.24 W or 26.02 kcal/h.
chohocvo

Homework Statement

The human body must maintain its core temperature inside a rather narrow range around 37°C. Metabolic processes, notably muscular exertion, convert chemical energy into internal energy deep in the interior. From the interior, energy must flow out to the skin or lungs to be expelled to the environment. During moderate exercise,an 80 kg man can metabolize food energy at the rate 300 kcal/h, do60 kcal/h of mechanical work, and put out the remaining 240 kcal/h of energy by heat. Most of the energy is carried from the body interior out to the skin by forced convection (as a plumber would say), whereby blood is warmed in the interior and then cooled at the skin, which is a few degrees cooler than the body core. Without blood flow, living tissue is a good thermal insulator, with thermal conductivity about 0.210 W/m·°C. Show that blood flow is essential to cool the man's body by calculating the rate of energy conduction in kcal/h through the tissue layer under his skin.Assume that its area is 1.20m2, its thickness is 2.50 cm, and it is maintained at37.0°C on one side and at 34.0°C on the other side.

Homework Equations

P = kA(Th - Tc) / L

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the P using the last information given and get 35.25 J/s = 532 kcal/h
but the answer is 30.3 kcal/h
*"an 80 kg man can metabolize food energy at the rate 300 kcal/h, do60 kcal/h of mechanical work, and put out the remaining 240 kcal/h of energy by heat." I don't know how this is related to the problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

With the given numbers I get P = 30.24 W = 26.02 kcal/h. Not sure how you got 35.25 W, but your conversion of 35.25 W to kcal/h is clearly wrong (1 W = 3600/4184 kcal/h). Also not sure why the result should be 30.3 kcal/h. Perhaps you got a number or a unit wrong somewhere?

Filip Larsen said:
Welcome to PF!

With the given numbers I get P = 30.24 W = 26.02 kcal/h. Not sure how you got 35.25 W, but your conversion of 35.25 W to kcal/h is clearly wrong (1 W = 3600/4184 kcal/h). Also not sure why the result should be 30.3 kcal/h. Perhaps you got a number or a unit wrong somewhere?

THAX alot! I did my conversion wrong. I was thinking 1J = 4.186cal :p. After I converse 35.28W to kcal/h, I get 30.3kcal/h.
Your answer is right for the problems. In my book it says the A is 1.4m2. The problem above was a similar problem I found on internet. I forgot to change the value.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference. It can occur through three different mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. What is a heat transfer problem?

A heat transfer problem is a scientific or engineering question that involves the transfer of heat energy. This could include calculating the rate of heat transfer, determining the temperature distribution in a system, or designing a heat exchanger.

3. How do you solve a heat transfer problem?

The first step in solving a heat transfer problem is to identify the type of heat transfer occurring, whether it is conduction, convection, or radiation. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as Fourier's law or Newton's law of cooling, to calculate the heat transfer rate or temperature distribution.

4. What are some practical applications of heat transfer?

Heat transfer is involved in many everyday processes and technologies, such as cooking, heating and cooling of buildings, refrigeration, and power generation. It is also important in industrial processes, such as metallurgy, chemical production, and electronics manufacturing.

5. How does heat transfer affect the environment?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and weather patterns. Changes in heat transfer can lead to global warming or cooling, affecting the balance of energy in the atmosphere and oceans. It also impacts the distribution of plant and animal species, as well as agricultural productivity.