Essential skills for science and math review

In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student who is struggling with some essential calculus skills after being out of school for 4 years. They mention using an exponential to get rid of ln x, but forgot how to deal with 1/x. They ask for recommendations for reference materials and are suggested to check out mathispower4u.com, which offers a collection of short videos on various math topics.
cosmicpuffycombs
Hello,
I am in my first semester of graduate school after 4 years being out of school. I brushed up on calculus but some essentials are gone. I was doing kinetic problems and had to find concentrations. I automatically knew to get rid of ln x I need to use an exponential. My mind went blank when I saw 1/x. I had to google it after a couple minutes and it showed me 1/(1/x) to get x which I can't believe I forgot. Are there any good reference materials I can use to brush up on these kind of skills? I looked through a couple things like Langs Basic Mathematics but that wasn't even in there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest mathispower4u.com

Theres a whole collection of short videos on all topics of math from prealgebra to first year college ie calculus, diff eqns, and linear algebra.

1. What are some essential skills for excelling in science and math?

Some essential skills for excelling in science and math include critical thinking, problem-solving, logical reasoning, analytical skills, and attention to detail.

2. Why are these skills important for success in science and math?

These skills are important because they help individuals understand and apply complex concepts, analyze and interpret data, and develop innovative solutions to problems. They also enhance overall academic performance and prepare individuals for future careers in science and math-related fields.

3. How can I improve my critical thinking skills for science and math?

To improve critical thinking skills, you can practice analyzing and evaluating information, asking thought-provoking questions, and challenging assumptions. You can also engage in activities that require creative problem-solving, such as puzzles, games, and real-world applications of science and math concepts.

4. What are some resources for practicing essential skills in science and math?

There are many resources available for practicing essential skills in science and math, such as online tutorials, practice problems, textbooks, and educational games. You can also join study groups or seek out a tutor for additional support and feedback.

5. How can I apply these skills in everyday life?

The skills learned in science and math can be applied in everyday life, such as making informed decisions, understanding and analyzing data and statistics, and solving everyday problems. These skills can also help individuals in their personal and professional lives, as they develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.