Estimate Melting Point of Lead at 100 atm

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the melting point of lead at a pressure of 100 atm can be estimated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. The decrease in density and the latent heat of lead at atmospheric pressure are also important factors to consider. A helpful resource for solving this problem can be found at the provided link.
bon

Homework Statement

When lead is melted at atmospheric pressure the melting point is 327.0 degrees C, the density decreases from 1.101 x 10^4 to 1.065 x 10^4 kg/m^3 and the latent heat is 24.5 kJ/kg. Estimate the melting point of lead at a pressure of 100 atm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I am not sure what formula/principle I am meant to use to work this out.

I've worked out the energy expended per m^3 at 1atm to be 8820 kJ/m^3... what do i do now :S Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
*bump*

anyone able to help please?

Im guessing the clausius-clapeyron equation comes into it but am confused :S surely someone knows how to solve such problems>?

Anyoneeeee? surely there must be some Physics PhDs on here?

Thanks ehild - you always seem to help with my physics problems!

1. What is the melting point of lead at 100 atm?

The melting point of lead at 100 atm is approximately 601.9°C or 1115.4°F.

2. How does pressure affect the melting point of lead?

The melting point of a substance increases with increasing pressure. In the case of lead, the melting point increases by approximately 0.45°C for every 1 atm increase in pressure.

3. What is the significance of measuring the melting point of lead at high pressure?

Measuring the melting point of lead at high pressure can provide valuable information about the physical properties of lead under extreme conditions, and can also help in understanding the behavior of other materials under high pressure.

4. How is the melting point of lead at 100 atm determined?

The melting point of lead at 100 atm is determined through experimental methods, such as using a high pressure melting point apparatus or a diamond anvil cell. The sample of lead is subjected to increasing pressure while being heated, and the temperature at which it melts is recorded.

5. Can the melting point of lead at 100 atm be accurately predicted?

While there are theoretical models and equations that can estimate the melting point of lead at high pressures, the most accurate way to determine this value is through experimental measurements. Therefore, the melting point of lead at 100 atm cannot be accurately predicted without conducting experiments.