Estimate of the greatest possible radius of a rocky planet

In summary, your math suggests that the maximum pressure a planet of iron can withstand is when the pressure equals the bulk modulus. This limit increases as you add more iron, suggesting that the planet would eventually become too dense to be considered rocky material.
kakaroth

Homework Statement

"Given a certain rocky material, estimate the greatest possible radius of a planet made up of said material"

Homework Equations

##P = \frac{2}{3}\pi G\rho^2R^2##

##R = \frac{1}{\rho}\sqrt{\frac{3P}{2\pi G}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure of the validity of my attempt at a solution, but here it is:
First I calculated the pressure at the center of a sphere of uniform density ρ and radius R under its own gravity, getting
##P = \frac{2}{3}\pi G\rho^2R^2##
which gives ##R = \frac{1}{\rho}\sqrt{\frac{3P}{2\pi G}}##.

Assuming the material was Iron, I plugged in its density ρ = 7874 kg/m3 and for P i used its bulk modulus of 170 GPa. The result was 4.43 * 106 m.
Then I cheated and used the average density of the Earth ρ = 5513 kg/m3 and the same bulk modulus, which gave 6.32 * 106 m.

But both result are less than the radius of the Earth, so my solution is probably completely worthless. Any ideas on how to approach this problem differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you dive into the math, state clearly what limits the radius from being larger than a certain value and create some math to express that.

You first math, if I am following correctly, implies that the maximum allowed pressure at the center of an iron planet is when the pressure is equal to the bulk modulus of iron. Why would this limit the maximum size of an iron planet? What happens if you add a bit more iron?

Your second math using the density of the Earth I can't divine any reasoning from, not sure what you are picturing here.

I don't know what might limit the size of a rocky planet - strikes me as being somewhat unconstrained but it makes sense there must be some limit before the rocky material stops being rocky material.

You seem to assume that the density is constant, but this is not the case unless the bulk modulus is infinite.

@kakaroth is that really the entire problem statement? From what I can find on the internet, the problem as you state it does not seem constrained enough to have an objectively correct answer. Are there no relevant lecture notes or other context to bound it somehow?

1. What factors are considered when estimating the greatest possible radius of a rocky planet?

When estimating the greatest possible radius of a rocky planet, factors such as the planet's mass, composition, and distance from its star are taken into account. These factors can affect the planet's density and overall size.

2. Is there a limit to how large a rocky planet can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how large a rocky planet can be. This is because as a planet's mass increases, so does its gravitational pull, causing it to compress and become more dense. Eventually, the planet would reach a point where it would become a gas giant rather than a rocky planet.

3. Can rocky planets have different radii depending on their distance from their star?

Yes, the distance from a star can affect a rocky planet's radius. Planets closer to their star may experience stronger gravitational forces, causing them to become more compact and have a smaller radius compared to planets farther away from their star.

4. Are there any known rocky planets with particularly large radii?

Currently, there are no known rocky planets with particularly large radii. The largest known rocky planet is Kepler-10c, which has a radius of about 2.35 times that of Earth. However, as technology advances, we may discover larger rocky planets in the future.

5. How does the estimate of the greatest possible radius of a rocky planet impact the search for habitable exoplanets?

The estimate of the greatest possible radius of a rocky planet is important in the search for habitable exoplanets as it helps narrow down the potential candidates. Planets with a radius too large would likely be too hot and dense to support life, while planets with a radius too small may not have enough gravity to retain an atmosphere. This estimation helps scientists focus their search on planets that are more likely to be habitable.