Estimating the energy of an alpha particle using Bethe's formula

In summary, the question asks about using Bethe's formula to estimate the energy of an alpha particle, but there are inconsistencies in the given formula. The student tried to reason using constant values, but the resulting values were in the range of 10^51. They also attempted to use numpy's ivp_solve function, but were unsuccessful. The solution may involve using Taylor's expansion, but the student is unsure how to proceed. The question also mentions a graph of -dE/dP vs E, which may be a typo and could potentially be -dE/dx vs E.
PandaKitten
Homework Statement
Full question is below
Relevant Equations
Bethe's formula
The question is below. I tried reasoning that because x is constant, E is also constant however that gives me values in the range of 10^51. Then I tried to use numpy's ivp_solve function to solve the differential equation however I wasn't able to get that working either. Apparently I'm meant to use Taylor's expansion to estimate E however I'm not sure how I would do that.
AlphaHelp.png

Physics news on Phys.org
PandaKitten said:
This is a simplified version which we were given because the alpha particle is non relativistic so beta << 1 and it also uses reduced mass mu and also E = 1/2 m_e/m_He.
This last statement is unclear. Please show what ## \mu ## is algebraically. Supposedly ## E ## is the energy of the alpha particle. This looks like a case where your notes that you might have taken in lecture contain errors.

This is what the question states
daww.png

I have to admit, I can't make sense out of their asking for a graph of ## -\frac{dE}{dP} ## vs. ## E ##. Perhaps someone else can see what they are asking for here.

PandaKitten said:
Homework Statement:: Full question is below
Relevant Equations:: Bethe's formula

The question is below. I tried reasoning that because x is constant, E is also constant however that gives me values in the range of 10^51. Then I tried to use numpy's ivp_solve function to solve the differential equation however I wasn't able to get that working either. Apparently I'm meant to use Taylor's expansion to estimate E however I'm not sure how I would do that.
View attachment 282789
Are you 100% sure they are asking a graph of -dE/dP vs E?? I would be willing to bet that this is a typo and they really are just asking a plot of -dE/dx vs E, which is then simple, they just want the graph of the expression they provided. (By the way, their definition of reduced mass is very unorthodox!)

• Skeptical
Likes hutchphd
Charles Link said:
I have to admit, I can't make sense out of their asking for a graph of −dEdP vs. E. Perhaps someone else can see what they are asking for he
For instance, one might wish to choose a pressure where the response of the detector has particular characteristics for a certain energy alpha particle. Maybe there is a nice flat spot or an edge.

dE/dP makes no sense on its own. d2E/dPdx means something.

They were asking in the context of a 10cm path length so I assume that is the detector path length and an average energy if I recall

1. What is Bethe's formula?

Bethe's formula is a mathematical equation developed by Hans Bethe in 1930 to estimate the energy loss of a charged particle as it passes through a material.

2. How is Bethe's formula used to estimate the energy of an alpha particle?

Bethe's formula takes into account the density and atomic number of the material, as well as the energy and charge of the alpha particle, to calculate the energy loss of the particle as it travels through the material.

3. Why is estimating the energy of an alpha particle important?

Estimating the energy of an alpha particle is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of these particles in various materials. This information is crucial in fields such as nuclear physics, medical imaging, and radiation therapy.

4. What are the limitations of using Bethe's formula to estimate alpha particle energy?

Bethe's formula is only an approximation and does not take into account all possible factors that may affect the energy of an alpha particle. It also assumes that the material is uniform and the particle is traveling in a straight line, which may not always be the case.

5. Are there any other methods for estimating the energy of an alpha particle?

Yes, there are other methods such as Monte Carlo simulations and experimental measurements that can be used to estimate the energy of an alpha particle. These methods may provide more accurate results, but they also require more resources and may not be suitable for all situations.