What is the formula for calculating reaction energy in an α decay?

In summary, by using momentum conservation, you can find the energy released in a reaction by adding the kinetic energies of the particles involved.
Stephen Bulking
Homework Statement
In α decay of Ra(A=226,Z=88) (at rest initially) : Ra radiates 3.7×10^10 α nuclei.The kinetic energy of an α nucleon is 4.78 MeV and the ratio between the mass of α and one of the daughter nucleon is mα/mdaughter =0.018.
The reaction energy is:
a) 2.88×10^-2 J
b) 50×10^-2 J
c) 30×10^-3 J
d) 0.85 J
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum
p1 + p2 = p3 + p4
Reaction energy
W= (M.initial - M.final)x c^2
Relation between momentum and kinetic energy
p^2 = 2mK
I tried momentum conservation, which gives:
-pα = pdaughter
<=> 2mKα = 2mKdaugther (squaring two sides)
Using the given mass ratio, I found Kdaughter to be 0.0864MeV
Adding the two Kinetic energy of the product particles and converting it to Joules, I got A
But I don't understand why adding the two kinetic energy of the product particles would yield the reaction energy (or does it? I'm not even sure I'm doing right, I just happen to get one of the numbers in the answers). The reaction energy is given by a different formula I put under the conservation of momentum formula and I don't think it says "add the two Kinetic energy together".

Physics news on Phys.org
We have (Taking c=1, and v and v' to be particle velocities) :
##E_{init}= M_{nucleus}##
And
##E_{final}= M_{\alpha}+ M_{daughter}+ M_{\alpha}v^2/2 + M_{daughter}v'^2/2##

By conservation of Energy:
$$E_{init}=E_{final}$$

Combine the above equations!

Stephen Bulking said:
But I don't understand why adding the two kinetic energy of the product particles would yield the reaction energy (or does it? I'm not even sure I'm doing right, I just happen to get one of the numbers in the answers). The reaction energy is given by a different formula I put under the conservation of momentum formula and I don't think it says "add the two Kinetic energy together".
The reaction (or decay) energy is the total energy released in the reaction (or decay). Both particles are moving after the decay but were not moving before the decay. Is the reaction energy the kinetic energy of both particles together or just one of them? You are supposed to figure out on your own whether you should add the two kinetic energies together without being told.

Abhishek11235 said:
We have (Taking c=1, and v and v' to be particle velocities) :
Einit=Mnucleus
And
Efinal=Mα+Mdaughter+Mαv2/2+Mdaughterv′2/2

By conservation of Energy:
Einit=Efinal

Combine the above equations!
Thank you for your quick response. But I still have uncertainties, would you please help me out by explaining the following:
1) You wrote Einit = Mnucleus. I understand that this is the rest energy, and is equal to 226MeV. Using the second equation and conservation of momentum like I originally did would give me Efinal of 230.86604 MeV and this would contradict the third equation. I am unsure whether M in your equations is the same atomic mass of particles (MeV/c^2), which would be reasonable unit-wise.
2) Are you implying that the reaction energy is the sum of the two energies, which I do not find sensible and there is no answer with that result, or that the reaction energy is the subtraction of E initial from E final which would make sense and there is in fact an answer with that number (A). But if so, your third equation on conservation of energy should be restated as Einit + Ereact = Efinal.

kuruman said:
The reaction (or decay) energy is the total energy released in the reaction (or decay). Both particles are moving after the decay but were not moving before the decay. Is the reaction energy the kinetic energy of both particles together or just one of them? You are supposed to figure out on your own whether you should add the two kinetic energies together without being told.
Thank you for your quick response. I believe the answer to "Is the reaction energy the kinetic energy of both particles together or just one of them?" is both of them. But that is not where I am having a hard time with. My trouble lies in the fact that this method while proved successful by the results it yield, does not agree with the formula for reaction energy W= (M.initial - M.final)x c^2 very well. I think I must have misunderstood this formula somehow, please most kindly point out where it is that I misunderstood. Thanks again.

Stephen Bulking said:
Thank you for your quick response. I believe the answer to "Is the reaction energy the kinetic energy of both particles together or just one of them?" is both of them. But that is not where I am having a hard time with. My trouble lies in the fact that this method while proved successful by the results it yield, does not agree with the formula for reaction energy W= (M.initial - M.final)x c^2 very well. I think I must have misunderstood this formula somehow, please most kindly point out where it is that I misunderstood. Thanks again.
Relativistically, the total energy is $$E=T+mc^2$$ where ##T## is the kinetic energy. The energy before the decay is $$E_{before}=M_{parent}c^2.$$ The energy after is $$E_{after}=T_{daughter}+m_{daughter}c^2+T_{\alpha}+m_{\alpha}c^2.$$ Conserve energy and solve for the sum of the kinetic energies.

Likes Abhishek11235
kuruman said:
Relativistically, the total energy is $$E=T+mc^2$$ where ##T## is the kinetic energy. The energy before the decay is $$E_{before}=M_{parent}c^2.$$ The energy after is $$E_{after}=T_{daughter}+m_{daughter}c^2+T_{\alpha}+m_{\alpha}c^2.$$ Conserve energy and solve for the sum of the kinetic energies.
Ok, thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

1. What is the reaction energy of an α decay?

The reaction energy of an α decay is the energy released during the decay of an atom's nucleus, where an α particle (helium nucleus) is emitted. It is a form of nuclear decay and is often referred to as alpha decay.

2. How is the reaction energy of an α decay calculated?

The reaction energy of an α decay is calculated using the mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc², where E is the energy released, m is the mass difference between the parent atom and the resulting atom after the decay, and c is the speed of light. The mass difference is then multiplied by the speed of light squared to determine the amount of energy released.

3. What factors affect the reaction energy of an α decay?

The reaction energy of an α decay is affected by the mass of the parent atom, the mass of the resulting atom, and the binding energy of the nucleus. The higher the mass of the parent atom and the lower the binding energy, the greater the reaction energy will be.

4. Can the reaction energy of an α decay be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, the reaction energy of an α decay can be harnessed for practical use in nuclear power plants. The energy released during α decay reactions is used to generate electricity, similar to other forms of nuclear energy production.

5. How does the reaction energy of an α decay differ from other forms of nuclear decay?

The reaction energy of an α decay is unique because it involves the emission of an α particle, which is a helium nucleus consisting of two protons and two neutrons. This is different from other forms of nuclear decay, such as β decay, where an electron or positron is emitted, or γ decay, where a photon is emitted.