Estimating the Torsional Stiffness of a 3D Elastic Support

In summary, the torsional stiffness of a 3D elastic support is typically calculated using the equation: GJ/L, where G is the shear modulus, J is the polar moment of inertia, and L is the length of the support. It is affected by several factors including material properties, shape, and boundary conditions, and can be increased by using a stiffer material, increasing the cross-sectional area, or changing the shape. The torsional stiffness plays a crucial role in the overall stability of a structure and there are limitations to estimating it, such as simplified assumptions and the accuracy of input parameters.
gs00350
Homework Statement
Hi,

I am trying to model the configuration seen below analytically in order to determine the natural frequency of the upright post.
The post is made from Aluminium (E=73e9) and the surrounding interface layer is made from an acrylic (0.5e9).

To model the elastic support of the interface layer I am considering using a torsional spring support, but I have no idea how to approximate the torsional spring stiffness of the 3D interface layer. I have tried multiplying the surface area of the interface by the Young's Modulus to get a quantity in N/m (i.e. stiffness) , but this still seems to give me natural frequencies that lie far away from my experimental data.

Is this a legitimate approach? Or is there a better way of estimating stiffness of such a structure?
Relevant Equations
Interface Thickness = 0.38mm
Interface Minor Diameter = 4mm
Interface Major Diameter = 4.76mm
Height of Interface Layer = 9mm
Interface Modulus = 0.5e9
Post Modulus = 73e9
1585301662478.png

1585301781679.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say, being wrong perhaps, that it will be easier for the post to tilt than to move sideways while remaining vertical.
Think of CM (center of mass) of post times lever respect to ring, if the schematic is proportional to the actual thing.
If that assumption is true, then the acrylic ring or bushing would be weaker to resist the tilting oscillation, as only mainly top and bottom sections would be working hard.

Well, the first thing to do is neglect the deformation of the aluminum. Assume it is rigid.

1. What is torsional stiffness?

Torsional stiffness is a measure of the resistance of a material or structure to twisting or rotation. It is a property that describes how much torque is required to produce a certain amount of angular displacement.

2. How is torsional stiffness calculated?

Torsional stiffness can be calculated by dividing the applied torque by the resulting angular displacement. It is also dependent on the geometry and material properties of the structure.

3. What is a 3D elastic support?

A 3D elastic support is a structure that can resist forces in three dimensions (x, y, and z) and is able to deform under load. It is typically made of elastic materials such as rubber or steel.

4. How is the torsional stiffness of a 3D elastic support estimated?

The torsional stiffness of a 3D elastic support can be estimated by conducting experiments or simulations to measure the applied torque and resulting angular displacement. It can also be estimated using mathematical equations based on the geometry and material properties of the support.

5. Why is estimating the torsional stiffness of a 3D elastic support important?

Estimating the torsional stiffness of a 3D elastic support is important in understanding the behavior of the structure under torsional loads and ensuring its structural integrity. It is also crucial in designing and predicting the performance of mechanical systems that involve torsional forces.