Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform bar ABCD with a mass of 4.25kg that is pivoted at B and supported by springs at A and D. There is also a torsional spring at B and a damper at C. A discrete mass of 6.75kg is at D, and the bar is connected to another uniform beam EFG by a link DG. The beam at EFG has a mass of 7.1kg/m and is pivoted at E and carries a mass of 8kg with a spring of stiffness 10kN/m at F. The question asks for the equivalent mass-spring-damping system at A and the natural frequency of the system. The solution
VonDanglewanger

Homework Statement

A uniform bar ABCD having a mass of 4.25kg is pivoted at B shown in Figure below. The bar ABCD is
supported at A and D by springs having stiffness’s of 12kN/m and 2kN/m respectively. A torsional spring
of stiffness 100Nm/rad is also present at the pivot B and a damper is located at C having a coefficient of
damping of 6kNs/m. A discrete mass of 6.75kg is at D. Beam ABCD is connected to another beam EFG by
Link DG. The Link has negligible mass. Beam EFG is also uniform and has a mass of 7.1kg/m and is pivoted
at E and carries a mass of 8kg and a spring of stiffness 10kN/m at F. Determine:

(a) the equivalent mass-spring-damping system at A;
(b) the natural frequency of the system.

upload_2014-10-20_11-28-13.png

My thoughts at a solution involve moving the mass and spring from F to D to find the equivalent mass-spring system at D. I would then calculate the equivalent mass of lever EFG, which I believe would be transmitted through lever DG to point D. Adding the equivalent mass of lever EFG to the mass at D would give me a new value for the equivalent mass at D which means I could treat the whole thing as a linear system and work back from D referring everything to point A as instructed.

Question: Does this appear to be a logical solution? What do I do about the torsional spring at pivot B, can I somehow convert it into a linear spring constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you state it doesn't sound correct.

For example, I am not entirely sure what you mean by "moving the mass and spring from F to D". If you literally mean this then I don't think this will give you the correct answer.

The correct approach I think would be to develop a displacement relationship between all the points.

BTW, there appear to be some typos in the written description since it doesn't match the diagram 100%.

Related to Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems

What is Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems?

Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of motion and forces in systems that are interconnected or connected in some way. It involves the application of mathematical principles and laws of motion to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

What are some real-world applications of Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems?

Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems has a wide range of applications in various fields such as robotics, aerospace, automotive, and mechanical systems. It is used to design and optimize the performance of complex systems, including engines, machines, and structures. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and improving the dynamics of biological systems.

What are the key concepts in Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems?

The key concepts in Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems include Newton's laws of motion, kinematics, kinetics, mass-spring systems, and rigid body dynamics. These concepts are used to analyze the motion and forces in interconnected systems and to develop mathematical models for predicting their behavior.

What is the difference between Engineering Dynamics and Statics?

Engineering Dynamics deals with the study of motion and forces in systems that are in motion or have changing conditions, while statics deals with systems that are in a state of equilibrium or at rest. Both fields use similar mathematical principles and laws of motion, but dynamics involves the consideration of time and velocity, while statics does not.

How is Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems used in the design process?

Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems plays an important role in the design process by providing engineers with a way to predict and analyze the behavior of complex systems. It helps engineers to identify potential problems and design solutions that optimize the performance and safety of these systems. It also allows for the testing and validation of designs before they are implemented in real-world applications.