Estimation of the Power Output of a steam turbine

In summary,From the energy content of the steam and the efficiency of the turbine, one can calculate the amount of steam required to generate a certain amount of electrical power.
Chandrakanth_balusa
Hoow can one estimate the amount of steam required to generate certain amount of electical power mathematicaly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chandrakanth_balusa said:
Hoow can one estimate the amount of steam required to generate certain amount of electical power mathematicaly?
Broad answer to broad question: From the energy content of the steam and the efficiency of the turbine.

russ_watters said:
Broad answer to broad question: From the energy content of the steam and the efficiency of the turbine.
Hello Russ Watters,

thanks for your response!
do u have any mathematical formulae concernig my question?

regards
Balusa

thanks for your response!
do u have any mathematical formulae concernig my question?
Again, the question is very broad, so the response is a basic conservation of energy statement:

Eout = Ein * Efficiency

If what you really want to know is the details of how a turbine works, I suggest starting with some of your own reading and then asking specific questions about that.

Last edited:
Likes Chandrakanth_balusa
What you need is not a formula, but rather a table of the properties of water and steam. Such tables are easy to find on the Internet.

Take the energy of the steam coming into the turbine, minus the energy of the steam coming out. As a first approximation, assume 100% efficiency and neglect other secondary factors.

But you must specify the pressure, temperature, and mass flow of steam coming in, and the pressure, temperature, and (presumably the same) mass flow coming out of the turbine.

If the steam is re-heated, then you can use the same procedure to separately calculate the powers of the high pressure turbine and the intermetiade/low pressure turbines.

Likes Chandrakanth_balusa and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
Again, the question is very broad, so the response is a basic conservation of energy statement:

Eout = Ein * Efficiency

If what you really want to know is the details of how a turbine works, I suggest starting with some of your own reading and then asking specific questions about that.
to be specific , I have some knowledge of how the turbine generators sets work in a steam power plant.
i have seen some threads regarding the calculation of turbine output power.
but i wanted to know if there is any possibility to estimate if how long a boiler can serve particular turbine generator set to produce power continously depending on the steam available,
if possible can anyone suggest me a nice platform or books regarding steam turbines with calculations and some examples!

to be specific , I have some knowledge of how the turbine generators sets work in a steam power plant.
i have seen some threads regarding the calculation of turbine output power.
but i wanted to know if there is any possibility to estimate if how long a boiler can serve particular turbine generator set to produce power continously depending on the steam available...
That's an oddly worded question. There should not be a "how long" or rather the answer is: as long as you keep providing it with fuel.
...if possible can anyone suggest me a nice platform or books regarding steam turbines with calculations and some examples!
Any introductory thermodynamics book will put considerable emphasis on this. I keep the textbook by Cengel and Boles at my desk (for HVAC).

There's lots of online resources that look good too, googling "steam turbine thermodynamics".

russ_watters said:
That's an oddly worded question. There should not be a "how long" or rather the answer is: as long as you keep providing it with fuel.

Any introductory thermodynamics book will put considerable emphasis on this. I keep the textbook by Cengel and Boles at my desk (for HVAC).

There's lots of online resources that look good too, googling "steam turbine thermodynamics".
ok thank you for valuable responses.
I will come back again with few question after gaining some knowledge of steam turbines.

See Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynanics by Moran et al.

1. How is the power output of a steam turbine estimated?

The power output of a steam turbine is estimated by calculating the mass flow rate of steam passing through the turbine, the temperature and pressure of the steam, and the efficiency of the turbine. These factors are used in the equation P = m * (h1 - h2) * η, where P is power, m is mass flow rate, h1 and h2 are the enthalpy values of the steam at the inlet and outlet of the turbine, and η is the efficiency of the turbine.

2. What factors affect the power output of a steam turbine?

The power output of a steam turbine is affected by the mass flow rate of steam, the temperature and pressure of the steam, and the efficiency of the turbine. Other factors such as the size and design of the turbine, the type of fuel used, and the maintenance of the turbine can also have an impact on its power output.

3. How does the efficiency of a steam turbine affect its power output?

The efficiency of a steam turbine is a crucial factor in determining its power output. A higher efficiency means that more of the energy from the steam is converted into mechanical work, resulting in a higher power output. Therefore, a more efficient turbine will have a higher power output compared to a less efficient one.

4. Can the power output of a steam turbine be increased?

Yes, the power output of a steam turbine can be increased by improving its efficiency, increasing the mass flow rate of steam, or increasing the temperature and pressure of the steam. This can be achieved through upgrades to the turbine's design, using higher quality fuels, or implementing better maintenance practices.

5. How accurate are the estimates of a steam turbine's power output?

The accuracy of the estimates of a steam turbine's power output depends on the accuracy of the data used in the calculations, such as the mass flow rate, temperature, and pressure of the steam. It also depends on the accuracy of the efficiency values used in the equation. In general, these estimates can be quite accurate if the data and efficiency values are measured and calculated correctly.