Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement

In summary, the experiment involves creating an ether by adding KOH and an alkyl tosylate to a halophenol in ethanol. Refluxing the solution for an hour removes the halogen on the ring. The addition of methylene chloride and water allows for extraction and then the methylene chloride is evaporated. The final step is to purify the mixture using column chromatography with a 1:5 ratio of CH2Cl2 to petroleum ether. This process separates the product (ether) and starting materials (phenolate and alkyl tosylate) from any decomposed alkyl tosylate.
member 392791
Hello,

I am doing an experiment in which I will have a halophenol, and with KOH in ethanol and an alkyl tosylate, I will need to create an ether.

The first step is to add the KOH and alkyl tosylate, and I should almost have an ether (ring with halogen attached to it and an OR hanging off the ring)

The experiment says after adding those two, I need to reflux the solution for an hour. I don't know why we are doing it..is it to remove the halogen on the ring?

Next we add methylene chloride and water and do an extraction..don't know what this is for.

Finally the methylene chloride is evaporated.

After this we put it through column chromatography with 20% methylene chloride/80% petroleum ether...not sure what this is for.

At what point is this halogen on my ring being removed from the ring?

Not sure what all the extra steps are for if anyone can enlighten me that would be great.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you sure about your reaction? What I see is a phenol that is easily deprotonated by KOH attacking the alkyl group with a great leaving group. Were you careful about how much KOH/ethanol you added? Did you use an indicator?

At the end of all of this you will have your product (ether) and some starting materials. The starting materials will be phenolate (water soluble) and the alkyl tosylate (CH2Cl2 soluble). You might also have some decomposed alkyl tosylate if you have a slight excess of KOH. This might be water soluble or soluble in the CH2Cl2. You need to purify this complex mixture with column chromatography. 1:5 CH2Cl2:pet ether is the mobile phase that allows the separation of these species.

1. What is "Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement"?

Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement is a chemical reaction in which an alkyl halide reacts with a nucleophile, such as an alcohol, to form an ether.

2. What is the mechanism behind "Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement"?

The mechanism involves a nucleophilic attack by the alcohol on the alkyl halide, followed by a displacement of the halide ion and formation of the ether product.

3. What are the key factors that influence the success of "Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement"?

The key factors include the strength of the nucleophile, the reactivity of the alkyl halide, and the solvent used in the reaction.

4. What are the advantages of using "Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement" over other methods of ether synthesis?

This method does not require harsh conditions or expensive reagents, making it a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option for ether synthesis.

5. Are there any limitations to "Ether Synthesis by Sn2 displacement"?

Yes, this reaction is limited to primary and secondary alkyl halides, as tertiary alkyl halides are too sterically hindered for the Sn2 displacement to occur efficiently.