Europiums electron configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses the electron configuration of Europium, with one person initially calculating it to be 2 8 18 32 3 and then questioning why the actual configuration is 2 8 18 25 8 2. The concept of Aufbau principle is brought up, where the maximum number of electrons that can be held in each orbital is 2n^2. It is clarified that this principle applies to shells, not orbitals. The conversation ends with the person doing more thinking on the topic.
Mniazi
I calculated Europium to have a electron configuration of 2 8 18 32 3
and then calculated the chemical formula of Europium Chloride which was EuCl3 which is correct
but why is the real electron configuration of Europium 2 8 18 25 8 2 ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mniazi said:
I calculated

How?

Using the method that for each orbital n a maximum of 2n^2 electrons can be held.

Or is it a rule that the second last orbital should always have 8 electrons?

That's not how it works, google for Aufbau principle.

Ok, So can you tell mee how one can actually calculate the precise electron configuration of Europium?

Have you checked Aufbau principle, or have you just ignored what I wrote in hope I will spoonfeed you?

Yes actually I checked the Aufbau principle, so does this mean that the first orbital will have 2 electrons, the second being p having 6, the third d having 10? and an f orbital having 14 max electrons?

Mniazi said:
Yes actually I checked the Aufbau principle, so does this mean that the first orbital will have 2 electrons, the second being p having 6, the third d having 10? and an f orbital having 14 max electrons?

Are you sure you don't mistake shell and orbital? Shell can contain several orbitals (K, or first shell, contains only 1s, L, or second, contains both 2s and 2p, d doesn't appear before 3rd, M shell, and so on).

hmmmm, ok let me do some more thinking

1. What is the electron configuration of Europium?

The electron configuration of Europium is [Xe] 4f7 6s2, with 63 electrons in total.

2. How many valence electrons does Europium have?

Europium has 2 valence electrons, located in the 6s orbital.

3. Why is Europium classified as a rare earth element?

Europium is classified as a rare earth element because it belongs to the lanthanide series, a group of elements that are typically found in low concentrations in the Earth's crust.

4. What is the significance of Europium's electron configuration?

The electron configuration of Europium allows it to have unique magnetic and luminescent properties, making it useful in various industries such as electronics and lighting.

5. How does Europium's electron configuration affect its chemical reactivity?

Europium's electron configuration makes it highly reactive, as it only needs to lose or gain 2 electrons to achieve a stable outer electron configuration. This reactivity is what allows it to form compounds with other elements.